What would happen if a dog got rabies?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    First off, my dogs do not have rabies. But I saw what I think is a coyote outside of my house today. I am always with my border collie outside of my house doing dog carting with her.
    And it got me wondering, If a dog was to get bit by a wild animal that may have rabies, then is there a shot that the vet will give the dog like the doctors do to a human so that the animal doesn't get the symptoms/disease and die? What really happens when a dog gets bite by a rabid animal?
    Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Hopefully they will have already had their rabies Vaccine.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah, i think the vaccine is supposed to prevent them from getting rabies...
    Although if you know for sure the animal was rabid, the vet may still give a booster rabies shot to be safe?? Dont know about that though..

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Assuming that the dog is up to date on all vaccines. [​IMG]

5. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    If they are current on their rabies vaccine, they will just get a booster and treatment for any wound needs to be done at the vet due to the risk of rabies.

If they are out of date on their rabies, think that depends on the area, but I think most areas say a set time to make sure it doesn't develop and the booster. I'm not sure.

If the animal has NEVER had a rabies vaccine, I know my vets all have generally said they recommend euthanizing the animal if you don't have the testable remains of what bit them. However, I don't know what the area may require, but I know my vets have said the same thing to me mostly because we have small kids who are around our pets. As much as I may love a pet, I love my kids more and I'm protecting them first.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah..i think if the dog isnt UTD on vaccines, they have to quarantine the dog for like 2+ weeks to see if any symptoms show up...

Unless they can catch and kill the suspected rabid wild animal to test its brain for rabies...

7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:Think then they do quarantine until the test results come in. I forget, none of the animals have ever been late on rabies vaccine. Other vaccines, sure. Rabies is the one that I refuse to let it be even a day late.

8. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Rabies is 100% fatal to all animals and humans. There is no cure.
    The disease can be prevented in animals by vaccinations, and in humans by injections after exposure.

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

First off, my dogs do not have rabies. But I saw what I think is a coyote outside of my house today. I am always with my border collie outside of my house doing dog carting with her.
    And it got me wondering, If a dog was to get bit by a wild animal that may have rabies, then is there a shot that the vet will give the dog like the doctors do to a human so that the animal doesn't get the symptoms/disease and die? What really happens when a dog gets bite by a rabid animal?
    Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

If an animal contracts rabies, there is no treatment. The affected animal must be killed. I know someone here who had a dog attacked by coyotes. The rabies shot was overdue, now the dog is quarantined in their back yard for 6 months.​

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:If an animal contracts rabies, there is no treatment. The affected animal must be killed. I know someone here who had a dog attacked by coyotes. The rabies shot was overdue, now the dog is quarantined in their back yard for 6 months.

Wow, 6 months! [​IMG]
    At least they didnt kill the dog..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by