what would happen if I.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DirtCreature, Mar 19, 2012.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    what would happen if i leave eggs in my incubator that have been in for 8 days, and then add new eggs?

if i started the timeline over when i put the new eggs in and started a new 21 days would the eggs that have already been in for 8 days still hatch?

If the eggs that where already in are "bad" would it effect the new eggs? or should i just take out the eggs and replace them with the new ones?

I have an original thread about getting bad eggs, and how i bought more eggs that should be here tues, and replacing them. But im just so scared i will take the eggs out that are already in the incubator and open them to find they really where ok and i killed them. Some people that have looked at the pictures have said they dont look like they where ever fertilized to begin with. should i just buck up, and take the first batch out and replace them?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

Here's what I would do:

Leave the first batch in the incubator until day 15. I always wait until day 15 because then I know for sure if there's any life in the egg.

In the meantime, you will run two timelines.....Mark the first eggs (A) and the second batch of eggs (B) and you might have a staggered hatch.

On day 15, candle those eggs, and if they look blank, throw them out and you won't need to worry about timeline A.

How does that sound to you?

Sharon

3. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    great idea! i just heard that if the "A" batch was bad though, it would kill the second... ?!?

4. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I've never heard of that unless the eggs were to explode. I would do exactly what the previous person said. Candle and if they look clear of bad ditch them. Don't break, just toss then you don't worry about it. Best of luck to you.

5. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    awesome thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by