What would happen if.....?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by MatthewsHomestead, May 16, 2018.

1. MatthewsHomestead

MatthewsHomestead Free Ranging

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    I currently have a black Wheaton Amerecauna Rooster.
    IMG_20180408_141252.jpg
    He is awesome. Full beard and muffs, fluffy neck and body, beautiful bright colors, great disposition and protective and watchful of "his" flock. I am hopefully bringing home this gorgeous lavender Amerecauna hen (arrow points to her).
    FB_IMG_1526517354801.jpg

My question, in all my ignorance of genetics and genes and such, is what would I possibly get from the pairing?

I currently have him with an all black with iridescent feathering hen (in same pic of him), and they are throwing chicks that follow their parentage (ie. All black pullets and Wheaton cockerels).

Also looking at adding blue Amerecaunas, what would that add to the mix if I do blue roo to black hen and vice versa?

2. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Little stumped with this.
    Blue Xs black and
    Black Xs blue will equal about 50/50 between blue and black chicks.
    As for the lavender she is a black chicken with two genes for lavender. Since there is no lavender on the dads side she will produce as a black hen would but give all offspring one copy of lavender. It will go sight unseen.
    So her offspring should be just like your rooster bred to your black hen.
    That's where I can't see whats going on.
    Wheaton bred to black produces offspring which are extended black/Wheaton not some blacks and some wheatons and especially shouldn't be producing just black pullets and Wheaton cockerels.
    My guess is the chicks you're producing are black with Wheaton and you're getting no leakage from the pullets but heavy red leakage from the cockerel chicks making them seem Wheaton.

MatthewsHomestead likes this.
  3. MatthewsHomestead

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    I did have one that stumped me because most have been black pullets with a couple of the color leakage in the cockerels. This particular one was a pullet with more golden color lacing in the neck and onto the back but not on the wings. She was very pretty though.

4. MatthewsHomestead

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    What would produce a blue Wheaton coloring?

5. MatthewsHomestead

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    Ok. So with my Orpingtons, if I cross Chocolate with Lavender, what would happen? And also Jubilee with Lavender?

6. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    A blue Wheaton bred to a wheaton, blue wheaton or splash wheaton.
    If you don't have a blue wheaton you can use a blue.
    Breed blue to wheaton. Breed those offspring chicks that are blue together and about 25% will be Wheaton. Will also be about 50% blue offspring so you just need one to be Wheaton and be blue. You can breed a blue chick with a black chick too just no black to black.
    Can also breed a blue offspring chick back to a wheaton for 1/2 and 1/2 blue and black and about 50% wheatons.

7. MatthewsHomestead

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    Woa. This can get confusing fast! But I think I'm getting it. So blue hen to my black Wheaton. Then the blue offspring together and I should get at least a couple Wheaton.

Black to black makes more Black right?

8. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Yes black to black only makes black.
    Yes breed your Wheaton rooster to blue hen. Breed any blue chicks produced back to Wheaton for highest chances for blue wheaton.
    Or bred any blue offspring chick to any blue or black offspring chick and you can get some blue wheaton.

9. MatthewsHomestead

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    Awesome. Just explained this to the Hubbs which makes him more on board with my flock changes and breeding program im attempting to get going. We had a blue Wheaton that was his favorite until a nasty dog got him. It's good to know we can breed it out in our own now. Thank you for the help!

The Moonshiner likes this.
  10. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    If the Chocolate on your line is based on the sex linked recessive chocolate(choc) and not the autosomal dominant Dun type(I^d/i+) if you cross a Chocolate rooster with a Lavender hen, you will create sex links, the pullets of that cross will be chocolate colored and the cockerels will be black colored, all of the F1s will inherit the recessive autosomal lavender gene(they will be Lav+/lav)

I think Jubilee is another phenotype based on mottling, so when crossed with Lavender all of the chicks will be a form of Black, perhaps with some leakage when adutls

MatthewsHomestead likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: