What would happen to my drake if I feed him layer?

We have just had this discussion and have come up with various opinions and experiences. Some have used it for years and never had an issue. Several books, including Holderread, warn about the extra calcium and that it may harm the males. I personally don't want to take any chances in the long run. I feed only developer/grower feed with 17% protein and offer oyster shell on the side for the girls. The drake does not touch the oyster shell so I don't worry about him at all. So it is up to you what you do.

Here is a link from an avian vet:
http://www.aecvets.com/caresheets/CareAndFeedingOfPetDucks.pdf

Last edited:
also feather land. Not any layer pellets are the same are they 14,15,16 % protien. Does it have niacin? Here we do not even have the feed that katharid speaks of with 17% and she may not have my choices as well. As I stated earlier I feed mine 16% with about 4% calcium. Most of us use this , I,personally think calcium levels would have to be way way higher for kidney problems to occur. As most layer feeds are under this amount.
smile.png

Quote:
Simple answer. He wont be hungry anymore.

Layer will not hurt a drake as the quantities actually in the feed is not high enough. Manufacturers actually realise that many people feed it to both males and females- and it is manufacturered as such. Drakes actually do need some calcium in the diet too- even if they arent the ones laying eggs- they just dont need as much as the females.

Quote:
Simple answer. He wont be hungry anymore.

Layer will not hurt a drake as the quantities actually in the feed is not high enough. Manufacturers actually realise that many people feed it to both males and females- and it is manufacturered as such. Drakes actually do need some calcium in the diet too- even if they arent the ones laying eggs- they just dont need as much as the females.

lau.gif

We have 5 hens and 2 drakes. All of our birds eat flock raiser (chickens and ducks) mixed with whole oats. Grit and oyster shell are available at all times in different bins. We have never seen our drakes or our roo (before he went to freezer camp) eat the oyster shell. The hens (chicken and duck) munch on it all the time. I believe that they are eating as much oyster shell as they need (some days they eat more, some days less). Once we have ducklings hatch in the spring I don't want to worry about keeping them from layer feed until they are 16 or more weeks old so flock raister has worked well for us.

Back
Top Bottom