1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would happen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewHopePoultry, May 23, 2007.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My broody hen hatched out 13 babies, I sold 8 of them. Her and the rest of the babies are being kept in a coop right now. The lady I got them from kept her chickens out all of the time, they didnt have a coop, so the hen is used to sleeping in a tree. When I let her and the babies out, will she come back to the coop, or go back to sleeping in the trees? its not safe here to sleep in the trees, like it was at her old home. Or should I just keep her in the coop? Its good sized, 8 feet long, 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall(it was a pigeon house) She flys over all the fencing I had, and I cant find top netting anywhere near me.
    What will the babies do? They have been in the coop since they were 3 days old. Will they come back to it?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Once chickens get used to a coop they will return at night. It does help if you have a small light in the coop also.

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My banties and cornish crosses go to their coops, but I didn't know if the hen would or not, since she was used to be kept outside all the time.
    So the babies will be used to the coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by