What would have been wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moonspeckle, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Moonspeckle

Moonspeckle In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Harts, West Virginia
    This happened a while back, but I was curious to see what happened. I had a hen that resembled a Brahma that was fawn colored. Well, I had decided to let all my chickens out to pick at the yard. She was doing fine, eating drinking the water. Well, I looked over and she just stopped in the middle of the yard, fell over and twitched violently. Sadly, she passed on a few seconds after.

Does anyone have a clue of what happened so I may prevent it in the future?

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Oh gosh I am really sorry to hear about your hen. [​IMG] to you. I wonder if she may have had a heart attack or ate something she shouldn't have. I have lost 2 girls recently. One last Friday and one Tuesday. I thought it could have been heat or heart attack or I don't know. But it is still sad to lose a pet to me.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think she had a heart attack, or a stroke. That does happen with chickens. You did nothing wrong. Very sorry to hear that! I'm sure the timing was just a coincidence.

4. Moonspeckle

Jul 7, 2010
    Harts, West Virginia
    I'm sorry for your losses too. I guess it was better than her being killed by a dog or something.

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Moonspeckle - you are right. After Tuesday's loss I decided that since it has been so so hot here I said I wasn't going to let them be kept in their runs even though they are pretty large and they have access to shade, water and protection. I usually let them out for 2 to 3 hours a day when I am home to keep an eye on them because I don't want something to happen to them but I am just sorry that I lost my Nellie and she was one of my friendliest Delawares and loved to ride on my back if I leaned over to pick up something or pet someone.

6. Moonspeckle

Jul 7, 2010
    Harts, West Virginia
    Yeah, it seems like the ones you love the most are the ones most targeted. I still remember when my dog killed my hen that my grandma named Henrietta. She would fly out of the coop and go to my grandma's, where my grandma would feed her cat food out of her hand, then go back to the chicken lot. She was the best hen I ever had, she would protect her chicks with her life. I just about cried my eyes out when I found her body.

That day, that dog went to a new home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by