What would have carried off my little dog?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Parson's Wife, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    She is alive. I should state that right away. She is a little Yorkie, not 3 lbs, about 7'' tall.
    Came in late Sat night, (about 11:40 pm) Let them out to potty, I stood out there a coupla minutes with them, went in the house and in the space of about 60 secs. something had grabbed her and carried her off into the fields. She does NOT chase anything out there, she is a timid dog. Pepper, my bigger male dog, was giving chase, & nipping at the heels...(what a little hero)
    She was not torn open, but had multiple bite marks. Our evangelist was certain it was a big possum. The Rev. and him hunted and hunted for any sign of an animal that had done that. Also, she is very sore around her ribs, none broke, so thankful!
    Nothing.
    I live in town, there is an open field right behind my house...it's not a large town (population alittle over 2000)
    A main hwy runs not to far from the parsonage...but there's a little patch of woods just connecting the house and the field.

I do not know. She is walking this morning, has anti-biotics, and we are very thankful. Our pets are part of the family.

We did not see any sign of another dog, but would they have carried her off?
    I have not seen a possum since we moved here, but this is Arkansas...so their here...somewhere.

I am searching for answers, unable to find tracks. I know it's just guessing, but feel so frustrated. I do not want it to happen again.
    Thank you,

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I am thinking coyote. In a lot of areas they have almost completely lost their fear of humans and human habitations.

I am so glad your dog is okay!

3. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Thank you, she's a little trooper. I would have felt so much better if we could have seen something! Found tracks, anything!

4. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Coyote, especially since it was at night.
    Glad your doggies OK!

5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I have seen possum chase cats and try and get at them, so it is possible that it was a possum. Coyote would be a likely candidate, but I think if a coyote grabbed her she would be dead as soon as the coyote wrapped it jaws around her body.

6. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I feel for you. [​IMG]

I have a very small "special needs" pomeranian. We live in the country, and he will chase cars, tractors, maintainers, etc if given freedom outside. He once got out without his leash, and disappeared for 2 weeks. We had searched all the ditches and called all the neighbors. In my mind, I had given up, figuring that a fox, owl or hawk had gotten him. My husband said, "let's call the humane society in the nearest town". They had my RedRed!!!! Someone claimed to have found him on the highway 2 miles from our place. I still to this day, think it was someone, playing a cruel joke. In a small way, I know how God must feel when a sinner gets saved. That which was dead is alive and safe in my arms.

7. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    owls have gotten more then one yorkie.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My immediate response was 'coyote', but I seriously think that if a coyote had grabbed her she would be dead. Another possibility is GHO, but again the strike impact from a GHO would most likely have killed her. Bottom line is you will no longer be able to let your dogs outside unsupervised. Hope that she recovers completely.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I'm with NY boy. Less than 3 lbs a big bird of prey like a hawk or owl could do it and leave no tracks and could have been having trouble taking off again hence the other dog chasing and the dropping. It was at night so not hawk, I'm just saying several big birds could do that. It would also leave multiple puncture wounds.

10. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    A really big owl would have had no trouble with a 3 lb dog, but maybe a smaller owl - though I would think your dog would have some serious puncture wounds?

I know, I know, it was a chupacabra! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by