what would i get crossing these birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aran, Sep 3, 2007.

1. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    ok am wondering what chicks I will get from various combinations of the following birds:

Roo # 1 is a RIR. He is seen here with a RIW. If i understand correctly this produces gold sex links where the chicks are buff/red for girls and white for roos?

[​IMG]

Ok how about rooster #1 with this girl...she is a "production black" which i believe is barred rock cross of some sort?
    [​IMG]

Ok this is just a cute close up of a salmon favorelle!

[​IMG]

Here are the lads the ladies get to choose from:

[​IMG]

Here is another pic of the gang enjoying the "sunroom"
    [​IMG]

2. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    while im on a roll here are some other pics of the girls...i guess we will end up with all kinds of mutts but i will probably selectively breed some sex links also.

white cochin:
    [​IMG]

salmon favorelle:
    [​IMG]

the ducks:[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    When you breed a rhode island white with a rhode island red you get a rhode island pink right? [​IMG]

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    With all that genetic olio, you might want to look at breeding for trait. I suggest working hard to breed top egg producers, regardless of coloration.

Besides, I guarantee that by doing so, you will get a very colorful flock in the bargain!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Thing with trying to breed for great laying traits with the current flock is that some of the birds may already be the F1 generations made for laying, meaning the F2 might not have the same egg traits. You can always try though. It would be a fun project.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    RIR w/ BR would = black sex links...production black girls are black w/ splashes of gold in their hackle...so I think that's a barred rock...or a black sex link roo which look like barred rocks
    I do believe w/ RIR and WR you'd get gold sex links

Cross the EE and the WR's you'd probably end up with this...
    [​IMG]
    More EE's [​IMG]
    Love to see the color combo of the Faverolle w/ the EE roo....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  7. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    great looking birds and thanks for the info...one of my production black girls does have some gold tinges to her neck feathers. So do you think that the production black x RIR would do the same as RIR xBR?

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well your production black looks like a barred rock to me...I never knew that they "made" barred rock looking production blacks..but hey, learn something new everyday. I've always known production blacks as females being solid black w/ gold in their hackle and the males looking like barred rocks..so you're confusing me...lol.

But I in theory if you take the barred girl and cross her w/ the RIR you'll end up with sex-links, or looking like this for females...

[​IMG]

The males would be barred.

But then again if both your production blacks parents weren't barred like her...you could end up in chaos...lol. So I really don't know. [​IMG]

9. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You know, your barred rock looks alot like a californa grey to me... but that's only if she lays white eggs. She seems a bit thin for a BR... but it is a hatchery bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by