What would I get if I crossed a GLW w/ SLW?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by itsy, May 16, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet and a Golden Laced Wyandotte cockerel. If they are crossed, what will the chicks look like?

To my knowledge, the GLW is the only roo we have, but we also have: a Cherry Egger, Mille Fleur d'uccle Bantam, White Leghorn, Buff Orpington, New Hampshire Red, Black Australorp, Barred Rock, White Rock, Rhode Island Red, Amaracauna (x2), Golden Comet and Jersey Giant.

Would him mixing with any of those pullets give me any interesting looking crosses? Does crossing any of these to him just make mutts? I believe I'm still about a month and a half away from eggs anyway... but I was just curious.

There's so much to learn about these guys! [​IMG]

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    GLW over the SLW will give you sex-link chicks red/fold= pullets, and white/silver= roosters. THe roosters will probably develope gold in their wings as they age.

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thank you so much for responding! I had to look up what sex-linked was, which is pretty great. ...sounds quite easy to sex!

But what is red/fold? Silver/White means they would look basically white?

So neither would be laced at all?

This is fascinating! I may have to hatch chicks after all.

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    What would come out of a GLW hen with a silver penciled roo? I tried the chicken calculator but I don't see silver penciled and don't know another name for it.

5. vanalpaca

vanalpaca Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Clyde in NW Ohio
    I'm wanting GLW and since they need a lot of work and mostly are hatchery stock unless you get them from Duane Urch. I was told to cross the best GLW Rooster I could find over Show Quality SLW. Then I would use the resulting hens which would be GLW with better type to breed back to the rooster. The next babies would need a new rooster.

Very interesting that the chicks from the first cross would be sex-linked!

6. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    You got good information and it should work.The males from the cross will be brassy (gold mixed with silver white) and should not be used. The females will be safe to take back to a pure golden laced male. Laced and penciled should not be crossed unless you have too,it will take years to get back the right lacing without mossiness,etc.

7. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Oooops, that was suppose to be red/gold, my fingers run away with me sometimes.

8. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Don't really know on that one, probably silver colored hens and gold roosters. I will habe to look and see, it was in another thread what the other name for Silver Penciled was.

9. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:chicken calculator??

10. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Yes, there's a "chicken calculator" where you put in the color of your hen and rooster and it will tell you what colors you will get for chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by