What would I get if I crossed....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dianneS, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    A BBRB spangled OEGB rooster with a Barred OEGB hen?

What colors would the babies be? Which color is more dominant?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Mottling is recessive, barring is dominant.

Since the barred one is the hen, you'll get sex-linked offspring. The males will be barred, possibly with a chance of having small white tips on the feathers, and with random red feathers. The females will be solid black with red on the neck and possibly chest or back. They also may have a slight tickling of mottling, too. When you cross a mottled x non-mottled, in certain colors you may have a chance of seeing the mottling appear in the first generation.

3. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:No kidding, I'll get sex-linked off-spring?? Wow! That's so cool! I really don't know much of anything about genetics, but I just lost my barred rooster and BBRB hen to a fox so I've only got these two left to breed. I'll have to keep them safe and sound and away from that fox until spring if I want babies out of them!

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    what is a bbrb?

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:Black breasted red brown.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:When I crossed a Speckled Sussex rooster (recessive mottling) with Delaware, Buff Orp, and Australorp hens, I often saw some mottling in the juvenile plumage but none made it to the adult plumage in the first generation. I'm not arguing with Illia about it being possible because I don't know, just mentioning that with mottling in the mix, you need to wait until the adult plumage to make sure it is really there.

If you cross the offspring back to the original rooster or to other of the offspring, mottling in the adult plumage can definitely show up in the second generation. But first, get your babies this Spring!

7. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:When I crossed a Speckled Sussex rooster (recessive mottling) with Delaware, Buff Orp, and Australorp hens, I often saw some mottling in the juvenile plumage but none made it to the adult plumage in the first generation. I'm not arguing with Illia about it being possible because I don't know, just mentioning that with mottling in the mix, you need to wait until the adult plumage to make sure it is really there.

If you cross the offspring back to the original rooster or to other of the offspring, mottling in the adult plumage can definitely show up in the second generation. But first, get your babies this Spring!

Cool. That's all good to know. I had a BBRB hen crossed with a spangled rooster and her babies came out just like her, BBRB until they got much older. Then some spangles started to appear on the tips of the feathers.

Glad to know that the second generation will show up with more spangles. I'm really interested in this sex-link business, I think that will be really neat! I need to learn more about this genetics stuff, its pretty interesting!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I am also curious, what is a "Black Breasted Red Brown" ?

There's black breasted red, and red brown. To completely different colors. . .

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Do you have a
    Black Breasted Red - (BB Red)
    [​IMG]

Brown Red -
    [​IMG]

Spangled -
    [​IMG]

You cant have a Black Breasted Brown Red Spangled..

(not my birds)

Chris

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

Ridgerunner,

You are correct. Mottling does show in juvenile plumage- your results are typical of what can happen.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by