What would I get out of these crosses? (pics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zaxby's2, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Okay, so I am going to be breeding for some chicks this spring, but since I'm tight on space I can only hatch out a few. So which of these do you think would be the most interesting mutt, and what colors would I get? They would all be crossed to this RIR roo(understand that I'm not wanting quality birds just some neat mixes):
    [​IMG]
    Now, here are my choices:
    #1) An EE(when she was younger but she has the same colors):
    [​IMG]
    #2) A mystery blue frizzle
    [​IMG]
    #3) A buff orpington:
    [​IMG]
    #4) A polish when she was younger:
    [​IMG]
    #5) A dominique when she was younger:
    [​IMG]
    They're all around laying age now, but will be laying by spring. All I want to know is what their cross will look like, but it would help to know what both genders would look like too. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think that what you will get is mutts.

If you want to know exactly what you will get, then you breed purebreds. If you like a nice surprise and don't care what you get, then you breed mutts and wait and see.

Nobody is going to tell you what is in your Christmas present this year, either. Wait and see.

3. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    The Dominique will be sex linked. Pure black chicks = pullets, black with white= cockerals. I would of course cross the polish- who can resist the possibility of "hair"[​IMG] and the frizzle- might get more frizzle!! Have fun!!

4. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    RIR male + the Dominique will give you black sex links. The rest I'm pretty sure will be mutts.

5. Kenneth Flippen

Kenneth Flippen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    The Dominique will give you black sex links as that's what I'm gonna be making that cross myself. I would imagine the buff would be reds but I don't know genetics ain't my thing

6. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Buff X red should give you buff columbians (incompletes on the pullets, I think)

7. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Thanks! I knew they would be mutts, I just wanted to get an idea of what I might get from them(for instance a red over a blue chicken would get me what). Oh, and I will definitely be crossing the polish. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by