what would i get with an EE roo over...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by momofthree, Apr 17, 2011.

1. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    What kind of chicks would i get with an EE roo over either a Production Red, Welsummer, Barred Rock, Black Sex Link, SLW, or BA?

i know they would be "mutts" but would i have a chance of getting a "colored" egg layer?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Possibly. Did you hatch him? If he hatched from a BLUE egg then yes, you would get a green egg layer from putting him over those girls. BUT if he hatched from a green egg, you wouldn't know if he might throw the blue egg gene, or the brown egg gene. IF you got him from a feed store, he could've hatched from literally ANY colored egg, so you really wouldn't know what you might end up with. [​IMG]

3. momofthree

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    i didn't hatch him, but it got him from a breeder here local, and i have two roos from her batch that i got straight run, i have four other EE hens (did have five, one got killed) and they all lay blue eggs...........so i am hoping he came from a blue egg [​IMG] he's awful purdy [​IMG]

i have a broody cochin who is hatching out my eggs and one hatched today and these eggs were with my Roo over them......this chick hatched out of a brown egg, it looks to have a pea comb and yellow legs [​IMG] cute little chickie, if its a girl, i hope to find out what she lays [​IMG]

4. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

I remember reading that the genes that code for a pea comb and green egg laying are located very close together on the chromosome, and tend to travel together during cell division. That's why green egg-layers (and blue egg-layers) tend to also have pea combs. However, I've seen exceptions to that "rule" in my own flock, so who knows? And, pea comb or not, some EEs lay brown or pink eggs. It's probably a fluke that nearly all of mine do lay eggs in shades of green and olive, with a few blues.

When running an EE rooster with our flock, he always threw pullets that laid green eggs no matter what breed the hens were. It was pretty interesting. But he was a hatchery chick, so I don't know what color his egg was.

5. momofthree

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    i hate the wait [​IMG] i have a total of five chicks that have hatched now, with at least two more in the process....so far they all seem to have the pea combs but bright yellow eggs....3 of them are definite chipmuncks in coloration with one being just a mottled brownish red color and one being faintly chipmonk in looks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by