what would i get with this combination

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenbottom, Nov 19, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    a blue frizzle cochin cockerel and a white silkie pullet they are still very young but its never to early to know what ill get lol.

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    You won't know until you try it. There are a lot of threads on here along the lines of "what if I breed my white bird to xxx?" and there is no one-size-fits-all answer. It depends on if your white is recessive or dominant, hom or het, and what her parentage is.

I suspect my white cochin to be het dom white because she is leaking some blue. She had a lovechild with a lavender silkie, and the baby is black.

A good idea, when you do breed them, is to post what you get, and invite others to do the same! Then we can all have fun determining the hidden background of the white parent. Or maybe I'll start a thread, as soon as I get a new camera.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You'd get sizzles. Probably some blues and blacks.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Or partridges or buffs or greys or ... Could be ANYTHING. Very unlikely to be a colour/pattern that does not have faults or DQs. It's like pulling out a random can from your pantry (without looking at the label) and adding it to your spaghetti sauce. You might have added sloppy joe mix, or green beans or peaches or cherry pie filling.

5. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Sonoran - I love your analogies!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thanx!

7. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:now sloppy joe mix added to spaghetti sounds good lol ive got to admit that

9. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ill just have to try them when they get older and see what i get oh and the white silkie is also a bantam the frizzle is a standard i do believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by