what would i get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stevin, Dec 16, 2009.

1. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    RIR roo w/a black australorp hen?
    hopefully some egg laying machines..
    but they will not be sex linked, am i correct?

2. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    [​IMG] Stevin, not sure of the genetics but hang in there and someone more knowledgeable will come along.

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:That cross is referred to as the " black cross " on this site :
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thepamperedpulletsfarm.com/images/2004_0115barredrocks52080003.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thepamperedpulletsfarm.com/How_To_1.html&usg=__nTju6j0oeefMeu1tGZNSyIYpls8=&h=480&w=640&sz=91&hl=en&start=20&tbnid=2ItTLOYpB65rIM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrossbred%2Bchickens%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

[ If you read the entire page you will read that the New Hampshire and Road Island Red are interchangable for cross breeding purposes ] Hopefully someone with more knowledge will give us info on whether this is a sex link or not .

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Pretty sure you will get both black cockerels and black pullets

5. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    thats what i was thinking, all black chics.
    has anyone crossed these 2 breeds? i'm now curious as too how they would look once matured.
    i would think that they will almost look like a black sex-link hen, possibly around 6 1/2 - 7lbs, possible reddish feathers around the hackle(like some BSL's) and still have the beatle like green sheen(like the BA's)
    that's my guess.......

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know for sure but my experience so far has been that any time I crossed any breed of hen with my black copper marans they came out black.
    I just had a hatch this week and the orpingtons, barred rocks, rhode island reds and easter eggers crosses are all black.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Did anyone check out the chicken calculator?

8. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:I did....IF RIR roos are "red" then chicks should be all black (both sexes)

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It will actually depend upon which e-allele the black is built on. I would think that with australorps it is probably E, and in that case you are correct, but with the exception of wheaten, you can built a black bird on any of the other e-alleles, and they give varying results when crossed with red columbian.

10. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:There you go with that "genetics lingo" again.....I have GOT to get me a book.

I made A's in every science course I ever took...I "should" be able to figure this out

Off to class I guess!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by