What would kill but not eat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CindyJeann, Apr 30, 2011.

1. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    Something killed a rooster last night but didn't eat it.

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    more info would be helpful, housing, injuries etc...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    weasel / mink

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:x2. Or a dog. Sorry for your loss.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Dog

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Dog

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yeah, check it for injuries. If it was mauled it may have been a dog. If it looks fairly intact, check the neck area for a sign of a slit or blood, that indicates a mink or weasel. Head gone or crop eaten means something was trying for the left over food that was stored--possum or raccoon. Also if the body was found right were it was killed it also gives a clue--dogs generally are messy while other canines will try to drag the body to a safe place to eat or cache it. There is a lot of CSI that one can do to get a clue.

8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Yeah, check it for injuries. If it was mauled it may have been a dog. If it looks fairly intact, check the neck area for a sign of a slit or blood, that indicates a mink or weasel. Head gone or crop eaten means something was trying for the left over food that was stored--possum or raccoon. Also if the body was found right were it was killed it also gives a clue--dogs generally are messy while other canines will try to drag the body to a safe place to eat or cache it. There is a lot of CSI that one can do to get a clue.

Very good point!

9. ChickenThug

ChickenThug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Mabelvale Arkansas
    Weasels and Minks can be a big problem. Haven't had any "yet" but trust me they're terrible. They kill the chickens and just leave em lay and drink their blood. It's almost satanic lookin the way it turns up. And the worst is that if they can get their tiny lil nose through a hole they can squeeze their entire body though it. And then it's all over. I'm hopin I dan't have any issues and really you get yours solved QUICKLY!! Wishin ya luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by