What would make a chicken lay an egg with deep groves in the shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenwalker, Feb 9, 2013.

1. chickenwalker

chickenwalker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Jackson, MI
    I have a small flock of 9 hens that are 43 weeks old. All of the girl have been good egg layers even in this cold Michigan weather. I have one Buff Orp that has started to lay eggs with well "marbled" groves throughout the shell - almost through the shell. These eggs have not been dropped nor cracked. I've seen a few of those since September.

Any ideas? I've been searching BYC and the Internet for help but I can't find anything that addresses this problem. Thanks.

I gathered the following 8 eggs tonight. See the bottom right egg.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a close-up. There are cracks on all sides.
    [​IMG]

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    How often do you collect your eggs? Could it be that it froze and caused the cracks? Or could it be that when sharing the nestboxes that someone else is sitting/stepping on it?

3. chickenwalker

Jun 18, 2012
    Jackson, MI
    I collect my eggs several times a day on most days - and did collect them 3 times on the two days that this happened. The only two eggs that I have had freeze were both laid outside in the pen and this is very different. The 9 girls share 3 nesting boxes but the two eggs that I've had like this have been from the same hen. It almost looks like the egg shells cracked on the way out but this is not the same as when the eggs are "dropped" and cracked in the nest. Any ideas or suggestions?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It looks like it was cracked while the shell was forming, internally. It does happen from time to time when they a jostled or take a hard landing. Don't know why it would continue to happen in one hen.

5. chickenwalker

Jun 18, 2012
    Jackson, MI
    Thanks. That really does make sense. I'll watch to see if I notice anything unusual going on.

6. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I don't know whether to say "cool" or "odd". Interesting photo and a plausible reason for the cracks. They appear to have been "fused" back together inside the hen.[​IMG]

7. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she a low ranking hen or do you have a rough rooster?? I think Den in Penn has the bes explanation. Unless she had a bad fall and those 2 eggs happened to be in "development"

8. chickenwalker

Jun 18, 2012
    Jackson, MI
    No rooster. Sweetie is one of our friendliest hens and she is at the top of the pecking order. Today's egg has one small fused-crack (probably impossible to see in this picture) in the middle of a thicker, a bit darker middle band. I'm concerned that she may have an egg laying problem - but this egg is better than the last two.
    [​IMG]

9. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have some like that every couple of days, but on the pointed end of the egg. After reading Den in Penn's response I wonder if it is from them flying off the roost in the morning, casue sometimes they do sort of hit the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by