What would my silkies look like if I mix colors?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkieflock, Dec 30, 2009.

1. silkieflock

silkieflock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    I have two silkie roosters white and gold, and two white silkie hens and am curious what happens if I mix colors.

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    White X white = white

gold X white= most likely black but could be gold

The best I can do without knowing the genetic make up of the birds or seeing pictures of the birds.

Tim

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silkies are almost always recessive white, which means any colour and pattern genes genetically present in the bird are turned OFF. Every white silkie can be different as to which colours/patterns are carried.

Now, in general silkies tend to be e^b, so partridge can be common; blacks or blues are unlikely to have sufficient melanizers to completely colour the bird. Chances of getting a bird who's appearance conforms to a standard variety without colour/pattern defects is unlikely.

4. Feathersofancy

Feathersofancy New Egg

Jun 2, 2012
    Hi! Did you mix your gold and white? Im thinking of doing the same x

5. Feathersofancy

Feathersofancy New Egg

Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks for your help! I will sort some pictures out and give you a shout once uploaded! It's interesting that the white turns off pattern and colour - I Learned all about it at school...should have listened more carefully!! I am going to give it a go so when I do I will also upload the chicks!

Thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by