What would steal an egg AND a golf ball?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rolffamily, Nov 5, 2010.

1. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    To make a long story short, I put a (marked) egg into the nest box so the pullets knew where to lay. The next day there was a new egg but the marked egg was gone without a trace. I put a golf ball there instead and two days later the golf ball is gone, although there were 2 new eggs. I am in NE Wisconsin. What critter is causing me grief? And no, the dog could not get in.

2. bigshoes213

bigshoes213 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    My first thought would be a snake. I hope not though. I wish yoyu good luck solving the mystery though.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think snake too..

4. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    It's too late in the season for snakes in Wisconsin. My first thought was that the chickens ate the egg, but I don't think they can get far with the golf ball.

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I had a hen who would steal the eggs in the next door nesting box when she was trying to go broody. It was hilarious to watch.. .
    HOWEVER, the egg and golf balls would still be there -- - - just in a different box than they started off in !

6. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Whatever it is its going to have one heck of a belly ache! Cant wait to see what you find out!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My guesses were a snake OR a silkie. I've heard of a silkie rolling an egg across the yard after her owner "stole" it from her.

8. Firebomb_k

Firebomb_k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    Spencer, WI
    Children.....I know children will do that......the egg alone I would say was a chicken but I know kids cant resist golfballs.

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

sometimes my chickens will toss an egg or whatever out of the nesting box,and will bury it in the shavings.

10. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Do you have pack rats there? They will steal anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by