What would steal an egg AND a golf ball

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rolffamily, Nov 5, 2010.

1. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    (I just put this in the wrong category and will be scolded so here I am in the pest section.) I have new pullets laying everywhere so I locked them in their run and coop and put a marked egg in the nest box. The next day there was a new egg but the marked egg was gone without a trace. Then I put a golf ball in the box and a few days later I had two new eggs but the golf ball was gone. I live in NE Wisconsin. What critter do you think?

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Snakes are known to go into the nesting boxes and eat the eggs, but they also mistake a white golfball for a egg and will eat it. So my bet is on a snake.

3. rolffamily

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    It is between 30 and 40 degrees at night - too cold for snakes in Wisconsin. Labor Day weekend is usually about the last time you see any around and we mostly have grass snakes in this area.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Even though you say it's too cold, I'm voting snake too.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have used golf balls to catch coons and possum in traps , they have been moving the last 2 weeks here.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd say snake also. It may be cold outside but, it may be hiding in your coop and doing okay. I really think they are the only ones dumb enough to swallow a golfball.

7. rolffamily

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So how do you catch a snake?

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Seems like a snake. He may not come back if he ate the golfball because I think it would kill him. Someone here said something about glass eggs killing snakes. Sort of an old trick I guess.

9. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    snakes in that kind of cold? i highly doubt it. unless the snakes up there wear mufflers. i would like to hear from snake experts on this one before one is blamed for sure.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    maybe its a golfer that needed a ball, and has not had breakfast yet and took an egg.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by