What would swallow then spit out a chick?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pioneergirl, Mar 26, 2011.

1. pioneergirl

pioneergirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    East Texas
    A few days ago I found a dead chick in my coop I guess they are about 3- 4 weeks old now. Funy thing was it looked like it had been wet and swallowed then spit back up. Guess whatever tried to eat it was't able to. Well I didn't ever see any predators.. but it was such a weird death I've been wondering what could have happen . Oh and it's wing was a few inches away unattached. I know that sometimes when a chicken dies the other chickens attack it's body, but these young chick could not have done this kind of damage or gotten it wet. By the way my waterer is only about 1.5 inches deep and 1.5 inches wide on the rim and was about 8 feet away from the chick. I noticed the chicks were all a little nervous when I entered like they had been chased earlier. Also two chicks had gotten out. I put them back in and reinforced the chicken wire by stacking wood on either side to hold it to the ground. I'm thinking something had to have come under the wire. I was thinking a snake.. but snakes don't usually cause wire to lift up, they come from the barn rafters and crawl down. Any ideas???

2. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Snake

3. GallusGal

GallusGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    If it was a large, heavy terrestrial snake, it certainly could have pushed under the wire. I can't think of any other predator that would swallow a chick whole then regurgitate it; snake is about it. If the meal was too big or if it went in at an awkward angle, regurgitation would be the snake's best option. I've seen it with my own pet snakes a few times.

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Snake

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Snakes can also crawl under, and can get a prey slimy then spit it back out.

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Snake

7. pioneergirl

pioneergirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    East Texas
    OH GREAT.. I WAS PLANNING ON AVOIDING THEM THIS YEAR!!!!

It's been a few years since I have had chickens and the reason why I quit was because my husband was never home when I needed help with a snake.
    Now I'm totally freaked out again. They just give me the willies when I walk into my coop and they are draped up in the barn rafters.
    My biggest fear is that I will put my hand in a nest to get eggs and one will be in there or that they will be hanging right above me and I not see them.
    Gosh I hate them!!!! I'm for sure getting barn cats now.

I read about the deer wire and that's neat.. but I really have no desire to touch the darn things for release. Maybe I'll try mothballs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by