What would take 4 chicks, 10 weeks old?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 10, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi my cousin came to my house stayed for 4 hours, finally we went up to house because it was getting dark and she needed to lock up the chickens, she was doing a head count, and counted 2/6chicks and the duckling in there. We searched the whole yard no feathers blood nothing they are just completly gone! anyone know? something must have took them because the chicks and baby duck always stay together, the adult chickens were all in there too.

She has had predator problems lately. A bear tried to get in her coop, her mom spotted a racoon hanging in the yard 2 weeks ago, our guineas (3 keets) were playing outside and we couldent catch them it got dark and they hide under the house so we finally gave up.. after 2 days of trying to catch them they vanished.

My point is, should'nt there be ramains?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Not necessarily. There are a few predators who will leave little or no trace behind- coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and (I didn't know this one until recent personal experience) fishers. They will perform a snatch and grab, and if they do it well then there is nothing left.

Sorry for your losses. It's a bad time of year to be free-ranging chickens. I have lost 2 recently. They just vanished into thin air. No disturbance... not even a feather left behind.

3. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. It was not my chickens but I will tell my cousin about the reply. Sorry to hear about you chickens.

All the predators you named I have in my area [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by