what would the offspring look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KattyKillFish, Apr 16, 2009.

1. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    just curious. i hope i'm not posting this in the wring place. pics would be appreciated.

White leghorn + brown leghorn

black Japanese + black tailed white Japanese

Rhode Island Red + Rhode Island white

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Would love to see the answer to this... Wouldn't it depend on the white bird being dominant white or not?

3. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yeah, that's pretty much what i'm wanting to know. is the white gene different in some breeds?

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

We need one of those little "random thought" smileys... LOL

5. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i was actually thinking about crossing come leghorns, too. i's really like to know a bit more about them.

6. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I don't know about the others, but this cross produces a red sex-link: males are white (perhaps with some black) and females are buff (with some white). This information is from feathersite.com.

Edit: Yes indeed, as has been pointed out by lilpeeps, the offspring would be sex-linked only if the Rhode Island Red is the male. The site I linked makes that clear, sorry I did not make it clear, too.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:I don't know about the others, but this cross produces a red sex-link: males are white (perhaps with some black) and females are buff (with some white). This information is from feathersite.com.

They would only produce sex links if the male is the red.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are two white genes: dominant (I-locus) and recessive (c-locus). Neither of these are sex-linked genes. Different breeds are known for carrying one or the other; however an individual bird may vary from what is typical for the breed.

If the breed generally carries dominant white, it is unreliable in creating a sex-link bird because the, offspring who receive a copy of I will be at least partially white, regardless of gender. You won't be able to tell the difference between the birds who are white as a result of I versus those who are white (silver) due to S.

The silver/gold gene is sexlinked: males have two copies of the gene; females only one. Breeding a silver female to a gold male will produce sex-linked birds. Note that the male must be homozygous for gold or it won't work.

9. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

White Leghorn X Bown Leghorn gives white offspring with flecks usually black bur it could bewhatever the white bird is underneath. This is presuming both parents are pure for the genes usually attributed for that colour of that breed.

IDK about the Japs

And the Rhodies have been covered

10. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:wow, thanks for the info! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by