What would turn a chickens nostrils black? Photo

mysweetgypsy

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
I had a 24week old BO hen, she had paralysis that started in one leg and progressed, (not the classic Mareks position-one foot forward and one back), weight loss, and then yesterday I noticed her nostrils had turned black? They weren't plugged, or runny, but black on the inside, and down her beak a bit. What causes that? Either way she's dead. I was getting up the courage to put her down, headed out, and she was dead thank God. I didn't want her to suffer anymore, but I really dreaded the actual killing. So any ideas? I have a roo with similar symptoms, early stages, and he'll be heading for a necropsy next week before he gets much worse.

I found an old pic of her sister, also died with same symptoms. If you look closely you can see a discoloration, like dirt in her nostrils, but in the end the nostril is literally black, extending down the beak 1/4" or more. Mold or fungus?

89740_100_2602.jpg

Last edited:
The vet asked if they'd gotten into any moldy feed, and they had once a couple weeks back. They also headed to my husbands shop after a storm and drank from a puddle in the drive. (they had fresh water in the pen but ran all the way to the shop for a mucky puddle) Not to sound stupid but what would that mean, if it were mold or fungus? How does one treat for that?

I think my chicken is suffering from same thing (mold). Did you find out how to get rid of it?xx

Last edited:
I have a chicken with the same problem, on one side only and looks just like the photo. Any information would be appreciated, especially if it came with a previous experience, vet's diagnosis, and of course most of all a treatment (or assurance that it is common and "no big deal")
Thanks in advance.

Any new info on this? I have it on 5 hens. They also sneeze.
Nasal drainage can be a magnet for dirt. That is one way to actually tell if they are having nasal drainage. Can we see a picture? Sometimes feed and dirt can get in there as well. Is there any sneezing or other signs of illness?

Nasal drainage can be a magnet for dirt. That is one way to actually tell if they are having nasal drainage. Can we see a picture? Sometimes feed and dirt can get in there as well. Is there any sneezing or other signs of illness?
Just sneezing. I'm wondering if my pvc feeders are too high. Also we use grass hay in their coop and runs which is dusty. But a lot of them seem to have a caramel diarrhea. But they act fine and lay everyday.

Back
Top Bottom