What would you call it?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Almosta Farm, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Almosta Farm

Almosta Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Central NC
    Since a lot of you out there like experimenting with different breeding crosses, I thought this might be fun. If you have a unique or unusual cross, what would you call it? Or if you have a cross you'd like help naming; for example ... I have crossed my Light Brown Leghorn roo with an Exchequer Leghorn hen, if this were to be a new breed, what would it be called? Brex Leghorn? [​IMG] Any ideas?

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    The breed would still be a Leghorn however the variety is what could be different. The result of one crossing of two varieties (F1) does not make a new variety. At that point it is just a hybrid and successive mattings of those hybrids will not breed true. Its much different than mixing colors such as blue and green to get yellow. If over several generations (how many?) you come up with a variety that breeds true then you have earned the right to call it anything you want.

3. Almosta Farm

Almosta Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Central NC
    Thanks for the respose, but this wasn't meant to be a serious, genetic discussion ... it's just for fun. Like someone posted a pic of her Easter Egger/Barred Rock cross she refers to jokingly as an Easter Bar, or the one that called her Dominique/Sumatra cross a Domatra ... just for fun ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by