What would you call this color? Lemon hackles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Meara, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    This is Benji, a bantam Easter egger cockerel. He was one of my first offspring from my color project flock. I can see he has columbian, as does his father. I believe he is based on wheaton. And are his hackles lemon? With autosomal red? Argh! I don't know what to call him, but he sure is pretty. I'd like to breed some more like him so I need to understand his genetics. Any input appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    He looks like a very light Ginger Red with maybe with Dominate White added
    Ginger Red's are Black Breasted Red (s) with Dark Brown (Db) added.

Not My Bird---

[​IMG]

Chris

3. Meara

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Huh, I wondered briefly about dominant white too after looking through pictures of other birds. Hmmmm There was a black-tailed white Japanese bantam rooster mated into this flock a couple generations ago. Are those dominant white? It seems like Benji still has an awful lot of black on his tail still. Db is a definite possibility in my flock. I'm pretty sure I have that. I know I have ginger/mahogany too.
    Please, more opinions! Come on all you genetics gurus!

4. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Benji is so pretty! Sorry, no ideas on the genetics side of things. Hope you get some great chicks out of him this spring. If you hatch out enough chicks, maybe a few will look like him. (I know .... it's a long process.)

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    he is just a restricted(by Db) mutt, no dominant white on him. I would say the color of his hackles is buff, not lemon, I believe he lacks any red enhancers, and Db is just diluting its normal pheomelanin color to a buffish color,

6. Meara

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Thanks Nicalandia. So is his hackle too dark to be from ig? Why are his other feathers so red if he lacks red enhancers? I don't fully understand that part. Do enhancers work only on the hackle and saddle feathers? That part has me confused [​IMG]

And yes, I know he is a mutt. But you have to work with what you have....

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Don't know anything about genetics but he is pretty.
    Mutts are the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by