1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would you charge for 7week old turkey poults?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mommy9994, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I'm going to sell a few of my turkey poults. I have BB White and BB bronze. They will be 7weeks old next week (when they will go in the paper). I figure they cost me about $6 (including feed) each. Is $15 too much? Should I ask $10? I don't know what they go for at all.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not under $15 each. Poults are hard to raise in the very early stages. You have earned every penny for those babies. Don't sell yourself short by giving them away.

3. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know how old the ones I just got are...There feathers are just starting to come in...
    I paid $5 each though. They had $8 each on them. But I took all 8 so they gave them to me for $5 each. Plus they through in 3 polish chicks...So I ended up getting 11 birds for $40. That's about $3.60 a bird that way....

I was resently at an auction and seen them go anywhere from $15-$50 each. They were a bit older than 7 weeks though.

have you seen others listed in the paper?? Or at sales?? Maybe go along the same lines as what others are selling them for in your area.....

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I bought a few day old poults for $7.50. I would definitely not go *under* $15 [​IMG]

5. poopcoop

poopcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    I think $15.00 is a fair price and you lived closer I would buy them from you. I bought my day olds for $5.00 and my week old for $6.00. I think at $15.00 you will have people calling from all over. Thanksgiving is just around the corner.

Ray

6. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    wow, ok, $15 it is! I asked my mother, and she said $20, and that $15 is a good price. I do tend to price low-- I just sold 2 12 week old RIR pullets for $6 each:he I knew it was too cheap.

I have a tendancy to be super cheeeeeep-- dh says "thrifty", and that he likes chicks who are into "S&M" (you know "save N money")[​IMG]

I'll put them in the paper, and on craigslist this week. I'll post them here too, I've not posted anything on here yet, but I suppose I should.

I have 14, and think I'll keep 7

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by