1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

what would you do? a merek's question...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maranda, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. maranda

maranda Chirping 5 Years

Jul 26, 2013
    Bermuda dunes, ca
    Out of my little backyard flock, I only have 2 birds left, 1 is being euthanized today all due to mereks. So, I have 1 easter egger left. She is a day over 25 weeks and seems in good health. My question is, should I euthanize her also? Should I wait and see if she develops symptoms? Can a hen live on her own? We are considered getting a couple ducks after we get the coop set up for it..probably not for a couple weeks. I loved my girls....they were pets. I am so very sad about all of this:(

MROO likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I do not see any reason to put her down if she has no symptoms of Mareks. You could always get another chicken or two who have previously been vaccinated for Mareks for company, or just keep her with the new ducks. Sorry that you have been dealing with this.

3. townchicks

townchicks Crowing

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    I know what I would do. I would keep her and try to find a chicken friend that needs a home. That doesn't mean that would be the right thing for you. Only you can decide if you want to deal with the heartbreak of seeing another bird go down from Mareck's or deal with the sadness and guilt of letting her go now. I say guilt, because it is possible she could have a normal life, and it is a hard call to cull her w/o knowing. If you keep her, and get another hen, and then she sickens, you are stuck again with a lone and lonely hen, that has been exposed to mareck's, and any more you get will also be. If you cull her now, then after a period of time, you could start fresh. Only you can decide how much you can take.

MROO, ChickNanny13 and maranda like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check your state threads in California just to see if anyone is downsizing their flock for fall, which a lot of breeders do to keep from feeding a lot of extra chickens. Explain that you need one or two, preferably vaccinated for Mareks. Are you getting Mareks testing done in addition to your necropsy on the one who was sent to the state vet? Have youhad a positive Mareks test yet on any others?
    Here is a link to find your California state threads:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threadloom/search?query=california threads&tab=618

5. Kylo_Hen!

Kylo_Hen! Songster

Jun 28, 2018
    call the vet

Feather Hearts and maranda like this.
  6. maranda

maranda Chirping 5 Years

Jul 26, 2013
    Bermuda dunes, ca
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I decided to keep her and see how it goes. I will start asking around about bringing a healthy friend home for her:)

townchicks, MROO and ChickNanny13 like this.
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    Good luck! Mareks is an awful disease, I so sorry for the loss of your birds. I really hope you can find her a healthy friend(or two, or three :p)

townchicks, maranda and MROO like this.
  9. townchicks

townchicks Crowing

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Glad you are going to keep her. Good luck with all of it. Here's hoping she stays healthy. She might be one of the lucky ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: