What would you do? Cant find any real info about what Im dealing with...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by imaturtlefan, Aug 24, 2013.

1. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    The other day I posted about a chick that came out of an egg with goopy eyes. Then a couple days later, 1 more had one eye like that, then a day later, another from another hen...the first one is now a week old. The 2 with only 1 eye like this, it hasnt even spread to their other eye. None have any other symptoms, none...whatsoever, they are in my house, ive watched them closely...they eat, drink, act like perfectly healthy chicks. None of my other birds have presented with this. The one that came out of the egg, I have to clean up its eyes daily for it to see, they stick shut...but as soon as I do, it runs around and eats and stuff...The other 2, their eye just looks a little crusty/wet around the outside... none are swollen. Im so confused, every disease Ive read about, says they should act sick, or have nasal discharge/ sneezing, ect... I just cant figure this out...its definitely slow spreading...IF its some sort of disease...anyway, Ive been treating them for days, the eyes have no change in their appearance on any of them. I think Im going to cull them, I just hate to do that to perfectly normal acting chicks, but I dont want to treat with antibiotics, and have them be carriers of something then infect the rest of my flock.

What I just dont understand is...1) I dont bring live birds here 2) the first one came out of the egg like this! so how could it even be a disease? Is it possible that its some sort of bacterial infection, like staph or something, and it just happened to spread to a couple? Im would love to hear ANY thoughts...Im out of ideas, dont know where else to look ive been researching for days, they just dont present with any symptoms of any chicken diseases, and I have dealt with respiratory issues years ago, so I know what that looks like.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There are at least 12 diseases that are transmitted vertically from hen through egg. Or the other possibility is contamination of the hatcher.

3. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Shouldn't there be some other symptoms? Especially in such young chicks after days to a week? The eggs are from my own birds too. I've seen sick chicks, these are thriving, especially the 2 with only one infected eye each.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I had eye issues in one hatch from too high of incubator temperature.

5. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Infections don't always present themselves as textbook cases. Sometimes the symptoms vary with the severity and length of the infection. For example, something can start with the eyes and then spread to the respiratory tract later.

Sometimes you have more than one thing going on and then don't get a good match when looking for a single disease than can cause all the symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by