What would you do? Chicks or pullets

AnnaWolf

Songster
Dec 8, 2019
The Netherlands, Flushing
Heey peeps I need your opinions.
Last summer my flock of 2 hens and 4 pullets died of mareks ( confirmed by vet trough necropsie) and i am ready to start over again. I want vaccinated birds, becouse last time we werent able to narrow down were it came from. I have 2 sources to get them 1 i can get pullets ready to lay for €30 a bird or 2 i can get 10 unsexed chicks for €30 but i dont have a heatplate.
What would you do?

I would probably go for the pullets, but be sure you sanitize everything. If you get the chicks you'll have to be ready to deal with excess males. They're hard to sell where I live, so I usually have to cull them myself. It's generally more trouble than it's worth.

I always start with chicks. Starting with pullets may mean they aren’t people friendly yet, they may need time to get use to you.
If you get unsexed chicks, do you have a plan for the roosters? If not, can you get sexed chicks?
That's a good point, i can cull the roosters and eat or give to the dogs.
My coop is 1.80m by 1m and my run is 2.20m by 3.5m will that be sufficient for 5 months?
No teir are no vaccinated sexed chiks for sell

I would probably go for the pullets, but be sure you sanitize everything. If you get the chicks you'll have to be ready to deal with excess males. They're hard to sell where I live, so I usually have to cull them myself. It's generallymore trouble than it's worth.
Everything has been cleaned twice and their has been no chickens for 4 months. What do you considder more trouble?

I would get a heat lamp and go for the chicks personnally. I bought 3 EE that were 10 weeks old, and even that young, they never got used to us and are super flightly as adults. They are my only chickens I actaully have to chase down to examine 😵.

I would get a heat lamp and go for the chicks personnally. I bought 3 EE that were 10 weeks old, and even that young, they never got used to us and are super flightly as adults. They are my only chickens I actaully have to chase down to examine 😵.
I've had 2 EE's bought at 8 months and those were skittish but sweet birds when i moved slow:)
My concern is the minimum order of 10 chicks and no ready place for them.

Back
Top Bottom