What would you do? DEED DONE..

Lanissa86

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Ok, I bought what I though were two pullets in beginning of August. I brought them home to find they were sick! Sneezing, drooling, mucus, coughing... So I started to treat the right away with Tylan and Terramycin... they looked ok for about 3 weeks and now I noticed both have the same exact symptoms again!!! And I just put them in with my whole flock!! AHHH! Granted, I paid $20 for them thinking I got 2 Pullets and looks like I may have 2 Roosters! $20 ROOSTERS?!! This really erks me... Do I cull them? My whole flock??!! (please say no..I love my girls)!

My next problem is this.... I am a CITY girl! I want to try to be a country girl, but I do not think I have it in me to cull!!! How? When? Where do I start?!?!?

Any suggestions, comments, whatever you need to say is welcomed, I am still new to this stuff... Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not an expert but I think its cocci!!! You defiantly need to cull the 2 if it is but wait to get some feedback from the experts. I wouldn't worry about the flock unless they start showing symptoms. I don't know how to cull but if you want, I think you can just get it euthanised (sp?) at the vet.

My personal advice to you is to cull the sick ones. Do not treat them at all. When you treated them, you only masked the symptoms. Get them out of there now. Actually, from now on, you'll have to become brave enough to cull ANY bird with respiratory symptoms if you want a strong flock. Harsh, I know, but these are carrier diseases that really never go away, even if the symptoms do. Then watch for symptoms in your original flock. And never, I repeat NEVER buy started/grown birds again. I know it seems extreme, but it's the only way to not be taken advantage of again. They unloaded sick roosters on you, and I bet they knew they were ill.

Cocci doesn't have respiratory symptoms. You only wish it was cocci, that would be easier. Cocci is intestinal.

Last edited:
be a TRUE country girl. a real country girl does 'the do' when necessary. cull the sick and build a healthy country girl flock.

how long did you quarantine? do at least 30 days!

get yourself lots of info via internet and books.

i'm a city slicker gone country girl and had to face this myself. you can do it. taking charge of your animals is the best way to manage your flock and enjoy healthy birds.

be bold country girl!

ETA...had to correct spelling!

Last edited:
Thank you speckledhen and ChickyPooh for the quick reply... Now... Step by Step, may I ask how do I cull them? I don't think I have a hatchet in the garage or ax, but I can double check.. How can I keep their bodies from flopping, I think that will traumatize me.. I've never even seen this with my own eyes and I am bracing myself (trying at least) as to what to expect...

Thank you also Miss Jayne

Last edited:
try holding down gently w/one foot and pithing through the brain. (through mouth into brain)
turn knife a quarter turn to right. they will die very quickly and not flop so much.

it sounds horrid, but it's over fast. you can do it!

For future reference, quarantine is to observe the birds, not treat them and mask what they may have. You cannot treat them if you want symptoms of underlying problems to surface so you can decide what to do with the birds.

I'd throw Terramycin as far as you can. It's practically useless for most issues you'll have.

In pithing, you put the knife/ice pick up through the opening at the back of the mouth, top side. You'll see it if you open a birds mouth (jam a pencil across the beak to hold it open and have a flashlight ready so you can see what I'm talking about).

Last edited:
Not buying adult birds, that's to be sure you're keeping your flock safe. I never buy adult birds, never will. Did it once. Thank goodness he didnt have anything, but it was stressful during quarantine. Every time you do, you are taking a huge chance. It's your decision to gamble, of course, but that is my own personal recommendation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom