what would you do differently....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chrizjen, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    I built my first coop and I have decided that I need a better one for winter. I will either buy one premade and have it shipped or pay someone to make one. What mistakes have you made with your first coop that you would change if you were to do it again? I made a chicken ark from catawba plans.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Check some of the threads already going on about coops--ugly ones, expensive ones, ones that were made from dumpster diving...
    Makes for great reading & you can get lots of ideas about what you want!

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would have made it MUCH BIGGER!!!! Plenty of room for the four I started with but not enough room for the ones I want now! [​IMG] But to be serious, I have gone both ways. We built our fist one and bought our second one. Planning on building the last one ourselves again since the one I bought was not as durable (although a lot less expensive than the one we built) as the first one. If you want to buy one of the kit coops I would see if you can get an opinion on some of the ones you can find on line or check out the pre-built ones before you buy.

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I bought our first coop thinking I was only getting a few chickens. Well, 17 chickens later and we need a bigger coop. Hoping to make it through the winter and get a new one in the spring. My husband just isn't home enough to build one for me and I have no skills for that stuff.

5. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Bigger!

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

bigger for more chickens

easier access for cleaning

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Try Craigs list or freecycle to get a really good deal. I only have 4 pullets and for now that's enough for me to handle. My pen I could add more chicks but I would go to craigs list if I wanted something bigger. For now my bought doghouse works just fine and I wouldn't chg anything. BTW I originally was going to make an ark & am glad I didn't.... not enough room & too heavy. Oh yes look at the top of the forum for the coops link. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

8. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    Definitely bigger!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Bigger and more ventilation...

10. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    More ventilation, and a second smaller coop that is separate, - for quarantine birds, injuries, broody hen, bachelor pen, breeding pen, etc. You really need a second place. We don't have a garage or basement to use. Bachelors are currently in my carport, but it is not terribly predator proof.

Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by