What would you do? Dog related...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sequin, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Ok, so here is the story... a dog keeps showing up at our house every couple of months. I have returned the dog 3 times and the 4th time I called animal control to come pick up the dog. The family has stated that they no longer want the dog and are trying to re-home him(that was the first time I returned the dog). I told that to animal control but the people came and got him and took him home. The last time I talked to the people(end of Dec.) they didn't want him and were still trying to rehome him and stated that if animal control got him they would not be able to come and get him because they couldn't afford the $100 to take him home again. The thing is, the dog is Really Really sweet, great with kids, really great on a leash, good around other dogs, mellow and loving, and just really needs a home where he will be someones very loved pet. He doesn't deserve to be at the Humane Society or animal control. For the 5th time, the dog is yet again at our house. My question is, what would you do? Return him back to the people/owners who don't want him, knowing that most likely you will see him again in another couple months? Or call animal control and let things take its course, it's not your problem? If I could keep him I would, but I just can't. I have 4 large dogs of my own and my kennel space is limited to housing those I already have. Or would you try re-homing him yourself for a couple days and then turn him in?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Gut reaction: find him a wondrous home where you can be sure he'll get the proper care and love. He doesn't deserve those uncaring people and they don't deserve him.
    JJ

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i would keep him till i re-homed him because the owners have already stated they do not want the poor guy! i would maybe ask the owners if they wanted me to try to re-home him for them....poor puppers! he just wants a home where he is wanted and loved...[​IMG]

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Me too. [​IMG]

5. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I would keep him somewhere on your property--even temporarily chain him if he'll be safe--and then rehome him myself. I bet you can find him a loving family somewhere! He deserves it. If he is a breed or a clear mix you also might find a rescue to take him.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I would try to rehome him. Someone found a german shepherd in another town and ran an ad for him for weeks. I finally inquired if they had located his owner and if not we would be interested in him. No one claimed him so we took him and very, very glad we did. We have four small dogs in the house already but he is trying so hard to please that it is a pleasure to have him. So maybe after reading my story you will rehome him. If he were a nuisance then I would call animal control. Your decision.

7. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Ozark, we also got our lab mix from a similar situation! Someone abandoned her on a farm and the owners were going to have animal control come pick her up, but the animal control for that county gives dogs 3-5 days before putting them down, and she was a large black dog which means in my state she is near the top of the list to die first. So I took her home, and despite her issues from abuse, she is so sweet and loving. She even loves my chickens and will guard them from our coonhound, who thinks they are either squeaky toys or snacks...

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:the crazy thing about our dog is that the woman who found him advertised for weeks, took him to her vet to see if he was chipped or tatooed..he was neither. We took him to our vet and asked the vet to give him his shots and neuter him. she gave him his shots and put him under and then opened him up only to discover he was already neutered!!!!!! [​IMG] Now if he was neutered than he most likely also had his shots. He is a great dog. Double neutered and double his shots. [​IMG]

9. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I would try to find him a home. At least that's what I SHOULD do. I have 2 males that weren't good candidates for adoption. The first has agression issues that I can handle but I wouldn't trust him in another home. The second is a Rott/coonhound mix who is bug - phobic. They hate each other, so I juggle them around between yard and house and they sleep in separate rooms.They have a sort of truce, but letting the hound move in 5 years ago was an insane decision. Try putting a notice at your vet's office and let them know what you're doing. You might speak to the owners and tell them you can't keep him but are willing to help him find a home. In our state, if you feed an animal or let him stay at your house for three days you are responsible for his care and liable for his misdeeds. I hope it works out--I really love dogs, too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

The poor guy. Sounds like he really needs a loveing home. I would try to find him a GOOD home. One where he will be loved and taken care of. I know it might seem hard to juggle yet another dog...but...he sounds like a good boy, and maybe he wont be too much trouble for a few days? Good luck in whatever decision you make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by