What would you do?! I need advice!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by riverman, Jan 3, 2011.

1. riverman

riverman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    I've been placing 2-4 eggs in my incubator every other day just about, and the first are scheduled to hatch on the 7th and then every other day a couple more are suppose to hatch. If all goes to plan it will mess up the supposed "lock down" time, for I'll have to open up to grab out the chicks when they're 24-72 hours old.

I've heard of people doing this quite often but I need some more opinions on the matter. Should I just leave it closed for 72 hours and then pick out all the chicks and wait for another 72 hours and on and on?

Any advice will help!

2. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    i have just the regular styrafoam incubators...i have done as you did several times..even tho youd be in lock down..the remaining eggs still need turning..ususally i just pop open a window on top & turn eggs.. or continue as normal..the top is only open for few seconds..yes heat & humitity is loss..but chicks seem to hatch anyways.. i know there are many who are gonna have another approach & maybe even find fault with what ive written..but..your chicks/eggs..your gonna have to go with trial & error...sometimes there is no right or wrong...your gonna have to just use your own judgement.

3. riverman

riverman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    I feel the same way you do. Im not too afraid of opening up either, just was wanting some others thoughts.

When should I take them out though since they'll all be hatching at different times completely! just after they're outside the shell and up?

4. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

I'd like to hear some answers, too. I had thought of doing a staggered hatch this time, but I've heard so many horror stories about it that I'm starting to wonder if it's not such a good idea.

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok... It's fine to open the top for this type of hatching. Just don't lolly gag around with it. MAKE SURE YOU MARK YOUR EGGS!!!!! Once those babies start to hatch, they will play soccer with the rest of the eggs in your bator. And to be honest, even if you have them in cartons you might loose track. So mark your eggs.

Since you will have a hatch that will span a few days, then NO do not leave your chicks in there that long. What I would do is try to do is as they hatch, let them fuzz out, then remove them and place them in your brooder. According to the OP you are only putting 2 in a day so you should take a couple out in the end.

Since you will have a hatch over a few days, be sure to check your water. Also to easily return the humidity keep some warm water on hand. Each time you remove the lid, dip your hands in the water and wipe the inside portion of the windows.

You will do fine! [​IMG]

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Personally, I would not do what you are doing at all.

Why not just save up the eggs and set them all at once? You can set every 14 days with no hatchability issues.

7. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    riverman.....make sure your brooder is set up so nice & warm......regardless of type of hatching..be it a full load or stagered hatching..generally i remove chicks soon as they are dry..have had to remove some even wet before..in a perfect world..all chicks would hatch right on time all at once..lol..have yet for that to actually ever happen..some might be delayed by three days from the first..and i get alot of chicks actually hatch not just peep shell on day 18..which has nothing to do with temps or even age of eggs..my early hatchers are all from a certain stock..all do just fine..up until several years ago id never had a hatch go to day 21 ..until i bought in more roos and breeds..then i was really worried when i had to wait to day 21...another breed i have all seem to hatch out on day 23...lol... i have alot of different breeds & do alot of hatching..never gets old !!!!

8. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    What would I do? First, I would start setting eggs once a week. That way it's a more condensed hatching....instead of 2 or 3 a day.

As far as this hatch, can you get or build a second incubator? If not, I would put the non hatching eggs in cartons and just don't worry about turning them for a few days. They will be fine...I've done that before. It's better for the hatching eggs that you keep the bator closed as much as possible. Opening to turn 3 times a day just lets too much moisture out. No matter how quick you get the humidity back up, you will get some shrink wrapped. Then you'll feel like you need to help the shrink wrapped ones, so you reach in and help which lets humidity out and shrink wraps more. Keep it closed as much as you possibly can! It's called lockdown for a reason. [​IMG]

Leave them in till they are completely dry. They won't fluff as much if you have still air, but they'll still look dry. I don't like to leave them in the bator after they're about 24 hours old. That's just me though.

Keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by