What would you do if...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StevenW., Aug 17, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    ...you bought Pure-Breed Cochin Chicks from a breeder and out of those 4 that survived from shipping only 1 of them is a Pure Cochin? The other three have beards and they aren't spose too!
    And of course with my luck that one Chick that's Pure-Breed is a Cockeral. [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Mention that to the seller, and see where the conversation goes. I'd not buy from them again though. If they hatched out that way I might understand, but the breeder SHIPPED the CHICKS that way. [​IMG]

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:X2

4. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    A reputable breeder will do the right thing. And a shady one will do the opposite. I've dealt with both types. Good luck!

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Another great example of how little the term breeder means. There's a lot more to breeding chickens, or anything else, than just putting a male & a female together. Unfortunately that's all many so-called breeders know how to do.
    Just because it doesn't say "Hatchery" after someone's name there's no guarantee they know what they're doing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:A reputable breeder wouldn't be producing bearded Cochins.

7. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I got a lovely little lavender Ameraucana pullet from some folks who were just getting started. they had some very nice stock. However, this lovely little lavender Ameraucana pullet turned out to be a splash rooster. She was more than happy to exchange him.

Then you have those "breeders" that get insulted you would dare to question them, cut off all conversation and slither out of sight doing nothing to rectify their misleading information. True colors and all that.

Give this person the chance to make it right. Mistakes happen.

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. If they had more than one order to fill, they may have shipped you the wrong birds? Call them and ask them. If they are reputable, they will remedy the situation. If they aren't...well, now you know. Whenever buying anything over the internet, use a credit card! [​IMG]

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Oh no. She had a lot of "Cochin" chicks from hatching eggs and was selling them and since I trusted people on BYC I took that chance...

I'm not really sure if it was a mistake since she hatches a ton of eggs per year and you would think they would do better at keeping track of them.

10. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:You're missing a key point. Cochins don't have beards. Period. That's not a mistake, that's poor breeding. How do you make that right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by