What would you do? Introducing my BOs to the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SkyWarrior, Jul 26, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Sigh. When my chicks were younger, they were so much more tolerant. [​IMG]

I have 5 BOs that are about 6 weeks old, I'm guessing. I have them currently in a very large dog crate to keep them safe. They're doing really well. My other chickens are 18 to 23 weeks old and full size. I decided to see if they were tolerant and brought a BO over. Well, they weren't. [​IMG] [​IMG] So, I'm back to waiting for these little guys to get big enough. I'm thinking of moving some of the flock over to another pen and then introducing them when I can keep an eye on them. Or should I wait until evening when they're all lethargic?

The problem is I'm running out of space. [​IMG] I have 2 -- 36 sq ft fenced pens where the chickens are 1-72 ft pen where the geese are and 1 72 ft pen where the 2 ducks and 1 turkey are. I have an outside run that isn't 100% secure which I use during the day to make life easier on the fowl. And then I have the rest of the barn, but it's not as secure as the pens.

So, what would you do?

2. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I have 2, 3 and 1/2 week old chicks that are in my garage in a large dog crate. I plan on putting the chicks and dog crate in the run and introduce them with the protection of the dog crate It may take a few days to be sure they will except the new ones. When I feel comfortable they will be excepted I plan on putting the new birds in the coop at night. This way they will wake up together and hopefully all will be okay.

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:When they were smaller, I had them in the run in a smaller crate. Now, I've moved them into the bigger crate (sigh) and that takes up quite a bit of room. I may have to come up with something to introduce them.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Try to introduce them at night. I have heard they will wake up together as if they were always together. If that doesn't work for you then rethink another plan. good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by