What Would You Do? *New Chick Momma*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Elleoz, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Elleoz

Elleoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Fort Mill SC
    My wonderful husband has decided that he wants to put some type of roost/coop thing (I have no idea what he has planned) in the corner of the run since the structure is like a huge coop anyways essentially. Here are a few pics of our unfinished chicken home.

[​IMG]
    The Front

[​IMG]
    The Side

[​IMG]
    The Back

[​IMG]
    The Inside looking in thru the door.

Obviously, it isn't finished yet. I nailed down gauged wire on the roof (even though DH didn't want me to-added protection I say) and we are going to cover it with clear roofing sheets. I am going to bury gauged wire 6" under the fence line and then cover that with additional hardwire cloth at the gaps in the bottom, along the front @ 2' high and the gaps at the rafters. We also have to install the fencing to the front of the coop/run as well.

The structure is 8 feet square and @ 6 feet tall. Hubby is now wanting to install a roost or open coop in the far corner diagonally from the door (looking straight in the last photo). We would install a nest box somewhere in a seperate corner as well. I guess my question is....if you had this space, what would you do with it from here?

I REALLY would like to be able to put the chicks in it (at least during the day) soon. They are getting too big for the brooder. :)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No reason you can't put them in now, if those big spaces on one end are covered in wire. if they're not, that's what I would do, as there isn't much cross ventilation in there.

In summer they will need lots of shade and breeze, and in winter they will not need much in your climate, just wind and draft blocking walls, still with plenty of ventilation.

If that were mine, I would pull one of the walls down and make a roof out of it, or part of it. I would not put up a clear roof, in any case. Chickens get into a lot of distress from heat but, in your climate, really none from cold, as long as their area is well ventilated so that humidity and ammonia can get out.

3. Elleoz

Elleoz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Fort Mill SC
    Thanks for getting back to me. You can't tell from the photos, but they will get plenty of shade once the leaves come in. The entire thing is tree covered and in the woods. I'm pretty sure they will have plenty of shade, but will take a look at it tomorrow during the full sun to see what it looks like. Since it is walled on three sides, I will probably have a box fan to blow air inside, if it gets really hot in there. The reason I was thinking clear roofing is so that they get some filtered sunlight during the day. I may go with tan opaque panels instead, but figure the clear will get cloudy pretty quickly. Either way, it will have a full roof to keep the elements and critters away. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by