What would you do!?! Person wants chicks, but has no incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wolf-Kim, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I've recently put out a couple ads for hatching eggs. One for purebred eggs and one for mixed breed. I got quite a bit of response, but the first ad kind of had me "stuck" about what to do.

The gentlemen responded to my mixed egg ad, asking if I had chicks or hens available. Which I do not. I have eggs in the incubator, but they are purebred eggs and probably going to be sold for more than the mixed breeds.

So, the question is, should I offer to incubate some mixed eggs for this person? What would you do?!? I don't mind incubating, but I don't want to get "stuck" with chicks I cannot use and can't guarantee a sell. Should I have him "pre-purchase" a set amount of chicks? That way, I get my money and he gets his chicks. Or should I charge a "downpayment" on chicks? LOL I dunno what to do!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I will usually "sell" the eggs to the person ahead of time and then charge a small incubation fee per live chick. That way they've already purchased the eggs & have something invested.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    How much of an incubation fee do you charge?

And what happens if you or some other force botch that batch of eggs?

Thanks for you input. I didn't think about this problem before hand. [​IMG]

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    $1-2 per live baby usually works for me. If the batch gets botched then they don't have to pay for the babies. I tell them ahead of time that they have to be willing to accept the fact that incubations don't always go as planned and that they still have to pay for the eggs since it uses electricity & takes up room in the bator, whether they hatch or not. I also usually put in some extras just in case.

If you don't want to worry about that you could just have him put down a deposit for the babies (maybe half) and then if it doesn't work you could always refund the money. It's up to you which way you want to do it.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Ive never done this.

But I would offer to set some eggs for him. Have him pre-pay for the chicks. That way, if he will be less likely to back out. If you have less chicks hatch then he paid for, then refund him the money for those chicks.

Also, some people charge and incubation fee. Ive seen $1.00 fee per egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by