What would you do?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Crazychickenmama8, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Crazychickenmama8

Crazychickenmama8 Chirping

Jan 28, 2019
    Long Island, New York
    Hello!
    I was wondering what you all do for your flock in the summer, I have a largeish yard for my area and my girls free range, should I leave water all around my yard for them when it gets hotter out? They have free access all day to their coop and run but will they go back when they are free ranging to get water? I want them to have the best. Thanks!

Abdalnassir likes this.
  2. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    I leave water in several places in my yard year round. It's hot in summer, who wants to walk all the way over there to get water?

If your flock is used to water just in the coop all the time then they'll know where it is regardless though.

3. Crazychickenmama8

Jan 28, 2019
    Long Island, New York
    Okay, I think I will leave water around the yard in the warmer months.

igorsMistress and Chickassan like this.
  4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    Canton, Ohio
    I normally limit my chickens access to half an acre area, they always have water in their run and outside the run. With that they know feeds and water is where the safe place is. It limit rodents and other wild animals drinking from their source of water.

5. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

If you do leave bowls out be sure to change them a few times a day to cut down on wild bird nasties.:)

6. Crazychickenmama8

Jan 28, 2019
    Long Island, New York
    Hmm, didn’t think of that. They always go back to their coop during the day. They actually are so funny, most of the day they are out they’ll stick to the parameter of my yard as if the middle is an off limits zone. I assume it’s cause they’re prey animals and that’s the safest way to roam? Lately they’ve been slowly going into the middle of the yard though. They love it! I can’t wait till they start laying. Come on eggies!

Chickassan and igorsMistress like this.
  7. Ribh

Ribh Songster

I leave water in the coop & in the run. I also dampen the ground in the coolest shadiest spot so they have somewhere really cool to lie down. An ice bottle in the water or frozen treats really helps on those extra hot days. I even put a frozen bottle in the coop @ night if it is really bad as it provides some relief even on the hottest nights.

Chickassan likes this.
  8. Crazychickenmama8

Jan 28, 2019
    Long Island, New York
    That’s a great idea. I will do the frozen bottle in the water for the hotter days. I always have fresh clean water in the coop and in the run. We got a taste of the warmer weather today and I soooooooo want it back but I’m worried for my girls cause I know it can get hot in the summer.

Chickassan likes this.
  9. Ribh

Ribh Songster

Parts of Oz have been experiencing severe heat this summer so we have been pooling ideas. Glad to pass along what we've learnt collectively. :)

Chickassan likes this.
  10. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I do that too! Iv'e got four eight gallon plastic water cooler jugs I fill and put in the deep freeze.
    They're big enough to perch on if the girls want. I wrap them in old towels so they wont be slippery and they looove them!
    Great excersise for me too!:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: