What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Feb 14, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I set 2 of my son's silkie's pullet eggs. One quit, and the other one is pipped! I am at a bit of a dilemma now.

I know it's not good to set pullet eggs, as the shell can be to small for the chick, but my son (4 y/o [​IMG]) would have nothing doin' with eating or shipping these eggs! So I went ahead and set those two, thinking they were probably not fertile anyway. Well they were, obviously, and now I don't know what to do?

It had just a small pip, then the pip turned into a crack. The egg was rocking like crazy, then just stopped. I hate helping chicks hatch, as it seems that most I help die anyway.

So what would you do? I'm almost certain the chick is too big to turn, it hasn't zipped at all, and it has pipped and cracked the shell. So, in your opinion, should I help it out or let it go? I'm almost positive it won't be able to hatch on its own, and my 4 y/o will be heartbroken! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]

3. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    I would have to try for your 4 year old. But I am an absolute no-nothing! I just couldn't live with myself if I did nothing. Wishing you peace with whatever you decide......

4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Give it time! It needs to rest sometimes. I wouldn't try to help yet! I am not an expert but I would say give it some time.

5. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I say that because I have read a lot on here that sometimes it take 24 hours from pip to hatch time because they rest and build up strength.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've set and hatched quite a few pullet eggs that have hatched just fine. I've found most of the time the chicks are a little smaller, but catch up quickly in size. I'd give it some time. It very well could be resting.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  7. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    I've Helped the little fellas out in the past and would do it again. [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've hatched pullets eggs lots of times, it can take any egg 24 hours or longer from the pip to zipping out of the shell. Patience.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How many others are in the bator?

I put four pullet eggs from our EE in the bator. Two didn't develop, the other two did. I doubt I would sacrifice other chicks if those two didn't hatch, but my 14 year old really wants to see what they would look like.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There are 3 other chicken eggs and some coturnix and button quail eggs in there, but only this one egg has a pip. I haven't had any luck hatching silkies, so the fact that this one is pipped has me on pins and needles!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by