1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by team_realtree, Jan 10, 2010.

1. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    My chickens are in quite a stressful situation. They were staying at a farm since October supposedly for the whole winter but the owner moved out and told me I had to come get them with 0 days notice. So I picked them up today with an arrangement to stay at another farm but it didn't fall through and now I have 6 chickens in my garage!

They are in a table that is upside down with the legs sticking up. There is a tarp on all four sides forming walls with a piece of plywood on top so they don't fly out. There is a piece of cardboard as there base with newspaper on top of the cardboard so I can change it. There heat source is a 60 Watt light bulb hanging right at head level with a cage around the bulb.

What do you think of that as there home for the next while until i find a buyer?

It is quite cold here and dropping to temps around 14 in the nights and 23 in the day. They are all huddling together under the lamp right now.

They are acting quite sluggish (not suprised). They did eat quite a bit but they were being starved at the farm I took them to. They also have had quite a bit of water so far. There are several patches in there feathers that show signs of fighting at the previous farm where the rooster to hen ratio was probably around 20 roosters to 10 hens. 2 of the 6 chickens in my garage are making a mucous sounding cough/sneeze and shaking there head? Could this be mucous freezing? Or a cold? [​IMG]

I realize they were put in a horrible situation at this farm and regret ever taking them there. My coop is only suitable for 3 seasons due to drafts and the fact that the walls are 1/4 inch ply also no electric is available at the coop with it being in the middle of a field.

If you could critique this setup and give any advice on what you would do to make it better I appreciate it. Worst part is 9:30 tommorow im off to work and only back around 3 so I can't keep an eye on them.

Darn why can't people keep commitments!![​IMG]

2. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    cover the drafts and they will be fine in the coop,my chickens have lived without heat in below 0 weather and do fine. this is thier 6th winter this way and never had a problem

3. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:the floor is dirt and I usually just put saw dust as the bedding? Should I move my piece of plywood to the coop as the floor and then put the bedding over that?

Also just to confirm you are talking 0 farenheit right?

4. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    yes 0 farenheit,that would work fine, chickens are pretty tough and manage fine. a lot of people let them roost in trees in the cold. i know this isnt the best way for them but it will work until you can fiqure something else out

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Use that tarp on the coop to block the draft & put a WELCOME HOME sign on it.

6. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    I just found hardwood floor in the basement to put on the coops dirt floor. When you say use the tarp you mean on the outside wrapping the coop correct?

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would be very concerned about the mucous-y sound you described. Please don't sell them until you know what that is. They could be carrying something that will spread to other chickens.

8. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:Do you guys know what that could be?

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    You should post a separate thread on the emergencies/medical section with their symptoms and conditions. You'll get better answers that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by