1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chrizjen, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    Okay I have been treating my BR for curly toe paralysis. I got her two weeks ago along with a few other hens. I separated her when I realized that her foot problem was not getting better. I have had her inside giving her extra vitamins and a b complex. she continues to lay and eats normally. I don't believe that she has Mareks. I am almost wondering if she just has an old injury. She walks on the top of her foot and the toes are curled under. In the last week this condition has not worsened. I have made a splint for her that somehow she manages to take off every time. During the day I have her in a cage and set her outside by the rest of the flock so that she can socialize. Since it doesn't look like she is better or worse should I just let her back in with the others? I didn't notice the "injury/whatever" until after I bought her and got her home. The man had so many chickens and it was muddy it was hard to see them.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have a Yokohama roo with curled under toes. He doesn't have any problems getting around. He's been like that since he hatched. Maybe yours was born that way too?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd put her with the others. I imagine you are right that it is an old problem. Does she seem to have calluses on her foot where she walks on it?

I'm sure you will keep a check on the foot.

Someone may sugggest you take her back, and that is a possibility, but it does not sound like good living conditions for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  4. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    Thanks. I think I will put her back tomorrow. I will not return her to where I got her. I know it's only been two weeks but I really am fond of her. She is very sweet and seems to trust me. She does not have any calluses that is one reason I thought maybe it was a new thing. She kind of limps when she walks and really does try to open her foot it just usually doesn't open up.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Good luck to you. I wouldn't take her back either. Here's hoping she gets along well. I guess time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by