What would you do?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jferlisi, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok so i have a problem. I work at a frozen yogurt place and if i didn't need the money i would have quit a few months ago. So my there are 9 employes and only two openers and im one of them. The openers clean there whole shift and the closers dont do anything since the store is already clean. I have complained a few times about the store being a mess when i come in and open. I open about 4 days a week used to be five. Its really annoying and discouraging when you bust your butt to keep the place clean but the closers dont care and the owner doesn't do anything to them. So the other night i took a closing shift and since it was a saturday she has 2 people close. So that makes it even less to do. She comes in complaining about how we dont do anything and blah blah blah. [​IMG]. So i told her how i see things. She doesn't get one those who she should but yet she gets on those that do work. I should not be having to send a text to another coworker saying they didn't do what they should have. She should. It only causes problems and then thats when she says something to them. I told her i shouldn't be doing that either. Her words to me where "I talk to everyone when there is a problem. I even talked to my daughter". Im like HELLO she works here and if she isn't doing what she should then ya talk to her. So i found out that friday she paid everyone but 3 people on the staff including me. This is illegal. She also has health code violations. Like out of date product sitting on the backroom shelfs not everyone has there food handlers card, and we are told by her that if there is moldy fruit then pick out the moldy fruit and use the rest thats not in that container. I throw the whole thing out cause thats just nasty. SOOOO after this long rant [​IMG], I want to call the labor board and the health department but i dont want to lose my job over it. What would you all do if you where having this problem? Thanks john.

2. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Wow. It sounds like the owner of the shop has some serious hygiene issues going there. Hearing that about the moldy fruit... to be hoenst, I wouldn't want to buy anything from a place that does that.

I'd report that to someone for sure.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Report anonymously, if possible. If things are as bad as you say, then there's a good chance none of you will have a job there soon. But as a good standing member of society, it is your responcibility to point out that which is wrong and do whatever possible to correct it. I know that sounds rather Pollyana - ish, but are we not all responsible for ourselves and each other?

I am sorry you are in this situation, I do hope you find a much more satisfying career soon.
    Best wishes to you!

4. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I would at least call in on the health violations. She may be within guidelines, but I'm sure they do that stuff anonymously. Who knows though. It might require an official complaint. Of course then you all might be out of a job at that point if they close the place down or give her heavy fines. Take the spoiled fruit home and feed it to your chicks.

As for cleaning. Comes with the job. I worked for Dominoes as a driver about 100 years ago. I always closed and we had that place spic and span before the lights went out. Just look at it as part of the job. I'd rather do that than deal with customers.

When does she plan to pay you? In most states she can fire you whenever and for any reason she chooses. Most laws only apply to new hires. Once you're in it's work at the employers will.

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Start looking for a better job, you won't change the way things are. If this person hires relatives or buddies you will never get ahead in that job. Sorry, I have been in business for 25 years and seen this happen. The employer will not want to rock the boat and will not seriously deal with issues only do the minimum so the workers get along.

6. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok thanks everyone for your input. I am going to start looking for a job after my family vacation. I am going to look for the health departments number.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Hello fellow California dweller. If they fire you for going to the labor board, you can sue the nipples off of them and win hands down every time. CA is VERY MUCH pro-employee. By the way, the pay dates have to be posted, and if you were not paid on that date, the company owes you $100 for every day they are late with your check. And the Labor Board will make them pay it too.

8. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Hello fellow California dweller. If they fire you for going to the labor board, you can sue the nipples off of them and win hands down every time. CA is VERY MUCH pro-employee. By the way, the pay dates have to be posted, and if you were not paid on that date, the company owes you $100 for every day they are late with your check. And the Labor Board will make them pay it too.

Hi there, thanks for the info. Ya they aren't posted anywhere.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hi there, thanks for the info. Ya they aren't posted anywhere.

Violation #1. Violation #2-497 to follow shortly. Good luck finding a new job, however, I would pursue what they owe you in damages and fines.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Report them! Enuff said!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by