What would you do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick_in_Indiana, May 14, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Last week I had a friend ask me if I wanted some fertile phesant eggs so of course I said, "sure". I already have guineas and chicken in the bator. Well, come to find out the phesant eggs need a lower temp and humidity then the others so I put them "30" (a dzn for each of us) in the bator w/ the turner and moved my 3 dzn eggs to my "hatcher" bator. Then borrowed another bator for just hatching. Now I have 3 incubators going and only 1 has a turner. The one w/ the phesant eggs since they are the freshest. So the next day our friends sister call us. She wants to know if I have any room in the incubator for her guinea eggs. I said I could fit maybe 5 or so. She then tells me she plans to sell them. I was under the impression she was going to keep them for herself, anyways. She comes down with like 20 eggs! So I told her I want $1 per egg since I have to hand turn them ect. All of a sudden she only wants to hatch out 5. Why should I do all the work when she is just going to sell them? Her brother is our landlord and is always doing things for me and my husband. Was I wrong for charging her?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Heck $1 per egg is CHEAP, especially if you're paying the power bill AND hand-turning them! Do you hire out? LOL

Seriously though, IMO you weren't wrong to charge her at all.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I charge to hatch for others. It is only fair if you have to do all of the work and they get the finished product.

btw..I'm not sure where you heard pheasant eggs need a lower temp, but we incubate ours at the same temp as for chickens without any problems.

Jody

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hand turning the eggs yourself!? $1 is cheap. I guarantee she would do the same back.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I'd tell her if she was going to be in the business of selling the birds then she needs to go buy an incubator, but thats just me. [​IMG]

6. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    [​IMG] Oh yeah, I forgot that part. She does have an incubator but she didnt want the job of hand turning them.

7. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    [​IMG] Well sucks to be her then!!! [​IMG] I personally think that you are too nice!

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Then I hope her eggs are still OK, cause her brains are scrambled! [​IMG]

9. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    Quote:Whaa???

You know, I've always felt like no one can ever take advantage of you unless you let them. It's always your choice if you want to do someone a favor. I tend to be very giving, especially with my time, but I don't do things I don't want to do because someone else wants me to. That just leads to resentment and lack of self-respect. One of the things that allows me to be generous, and feel good about it, is that I never let people take advantage of me.

If I can do a favor for someone... that's one thing. But if someone asks me to put effort or energy in to something so they can earn money, I expect to be paid as well. For example: if my girlfriend wants me to babysit so she can have a break, or go grocery shopping or... whatever... I would be happy to! If she wants me to babysit so she can go make money, I'd like some too, thanks! I once helped a friend make painted garden signs. We spent all day cutting, painting, assembling,-- they turned out very cute. And then she sold each sign for $30! Guess how much money I made? 0$ I didn't fuss about it, and I didn't allow it to effect our friendship, but I did learn a lesson, and nothing like that has happened again.

Of course, there are exceptions to every 'rule' and if someone really is in need, you step up and do what needs to be done, but honestly! This person has her own incubator, and she's asing you to do something even SHE doesn't want to do! [​IMG]

YOU get to decide if someone takes advantage of you or not. IMO, this person was trying to do just that. Your time is worth something, especially if she is going to make money from your efforts!

Good for you!

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Her brother is our landlord and is always doing things for me and my husband.

Until this part I would have said yeah, that was more than reasonable. However, this makes it seem more like returning favors. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by