What would you do?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chickerdoodle13, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been put in an interesting situation with the company I am working for and I'm curious to hear what others say. The people I work with are not happy about what is going on at all, so it is difficult to get un-biased opinions!

I currently work as an EMT and I travel about an hour to work at our current base. I work three days a week for 12 hour shifts. It costs me over $200 a month in gas for that commute and the miles put on my car each week is astronomical! I've been with the company for about 1 year and one month and I am considered full time.

Recently I found out I was accepted to Vet school and will be leaving at some point to live in another state. Not sure yet about when I will be moving because it all depends on when apartments become available. It could be anywhere from May to August.

I also found out that my job is planning to move us to a new base which would make my commute over an hour and a half each way (On a good day with no traffic). I was told today the move may be next week as they are deeming the building we are in as "not safe" due to a leak from a burst pipe. The pipe has since been taken care of, but they are worried about mold, or something to that effect.

I was originally planning to leave this job in May or June, but this is throwing a wrench into my plans! I have applied for a full time position at a location closer to my house, but there is no garauntee I will get it. My other option is go down to per diem again and work the minimum number of hours. Basically, my major bill right now is my student loan from undergrad. I need to make at least that much (It's not a terribly large amount) and also enough to cover a few other small bills.

I wasn't expecting to have to make this decision so soon. I was under the impression a company has to give 30 days notice before a major move, but I'm not sure if that changes when a building is considered "un-safe". This is not the first time they've made a major change in our location or scheduled shift times without 30 days notice though. This time, it just happens to affect me a good deal!

I spoke to a boss today on the phone to try and get more information and he basically gave me little info and it doesn't seem like they are going to try and work with us much to make this transition smooth. I'm not sure what to do, so my question is, what would you do? Would you be mad about this? Apparently they are going to give us more info the beginning of next week for a possible move at the end of that week. That just doesn't seem like enough time, especially when most of us working will have a crazy commute with this move!

2. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    For three months? Keep working unless you get another position. If you get a month into it and just can't deal with the commute, you can always quit then. No need to make any decisions right now. :)

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I already know I won't be able to deal with the commute, even for that short a time. After working a twelve hour (and more often than not a 14 or 16 hour) day, I have a hard enough time driving home when it's just an hour away. There's no way I could do another half hour or 40 minutes added onto the drive!

If we had slower days, maybe, but we are a transport crew and the dispatchers run us into the ground and often keep us hours after our shift and threaten our jobs if we try to refuse. It's not a nice place to work at all. If I didn't only have a few months left, I would be out of there!

4. MamaRoo

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    Call your local unemployment office and see if there's a way you can get benefits if you 'quit for cause'. Maybe there's some sort of proviso for your work moving far away from you. Or see if your boss would lay you off if the business moved, so you could get unemployment benefits for the few months.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. ScottnLydia

ScottnLydia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I was a paramedic for almost 15 years until i got hurt. I assume you are an EMT basic?

I would advise you to do what you have to, to keep a paycheck, but don't look at it as a future. It just isn't worth it. As a stepping stone, for experience, fine. But keep reaching higher.

Vet school sounds good. R.N., Nurse Practitioner, Physicians Assistant, even Pharmacist are good tracks to follow with that experience. Each have better pay, better hours, and less chance of being killed.

Good luck, and keep climbing!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You stated that they are going to give more information at the beginning of next week. Wait until then to make your ultimate decision. Until then, you have plenty of time to weigh and think about the pros and cons of resigning or staying with them. Whichever decision you make, you'll have thought it out thoroughly and you wont be second guessing yourself afterwards.

1 person likes this.
  7. MamaRoo

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    Yes yes yes! Think it all through, including out-of-the-box solutions. I knew a guy with a 5 hour (RT) commute, five days a week. He made it doable by finding a room he could rent near his work. Two days a week he gave a guy and his wife $20 for a place to lay his head. Kept his pillow and overnight kit in his car, along with a change of clothes.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys for the suggestions! I'm just worried they will have us move very suddenly and then I will be out of luck to compromise. In that case though, I would probably go to HR about it with the records I've been keeping about communication. Ultimately I will wait for more info but at this moment I am leaning towards per diem so I can make my own schedule and take some time for myself if needed. I don't need the benefits offered by the FT position since I live with my parents and I am covered by theirs until 26.

I'm just an EMT-B (I don't think they are even calling them that anymore with the new certification program). I've been volunteering for seven years and just recently resigned from that aspect of it. I'm definitely very burnt out and would not consider this job as anything more than a way to pay my bills. Where I am in life the pay is good but I don't know how people can live on what I make and support a family!

I am very much looking forward to quitting and heading off to vet school where I can work part time as a student tech in the campus animal hospitals. When I graduated undergrad this EMT job was great but now it has just become a huge frustration!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    dawg gives good advice. Have your game plan with various options in mind, but wait until you see what next week brings. Good luck at working this out.

10. onedoodle3

onedoodle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

As someone that has to work 16 hour days occasionally, I see your point about the 12 hour shift and the commute home. That is a dangerous scenario. And being an EMT is not an easy job. Based on my past experience: if your employer is moving to a location farther out and it is a long commute, you can quit and collect unemployment. (Again..this is based on MY past experience) The same happened to me and the unemployment office told me they could not make me travel farther than I felt comfortable travelling. BUT, if you do quit and collect unemployment, you must look for work in the same travel radius as your former job. i.e. an hour commute. Talk to your unemployment office about what they do in your state. I had this experience when I lived in North Carolina. Companies these days do not care if it is a dangerous commute for their employees or not. So you MUST decide what is the safest route for YOU. Personally, I would not continue working there, but that is my opinion. And before someone else chimes in...no I am not lazy. I know my limitations and it is hard enough working 16 hour days every now and then and driving the 36 miles (all highway miles with the speed limit of 55 mph) to my home without falling asleep. I have a hard enough time with working 8 hours and not falling asleep on the way home. You need to discuss this with your parents as well. I believe you said you still live with them. Tell them what's going on, how you feel about the extra time in the commute and get their opinions. Then discuss it again after you get the information from the company.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by