1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lillichloe, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Lillichloe

Lillichloe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    We are building a new run/coop for our 4 girls. The coop part is 5ft x 3ft. How would you do the litter? Deep liter? Pine with sweet pdz just sweet pdz. I don't think the floor is big enough for a poop board. What do you think? I'm attaching a picture. We are obviously still mid construction and would put anything on the ground for the run 8x6? [​IMG]

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I use shavings in the coop about 5 inches deep and change them out twice a year, I have sand in the run about 5 inches deep, very easy to clean with a cat litter scoop and they love dusting in it, it drains great if it gets wet.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    For that small a coop. I'd go with sand mixed with PDZ and sift the poops out every other day at least.
    Make sure you can have easy access for cleaning....basically you're treating the whole coop floor as a roost board, because that's kind of what it is.

4. GreenDragon

GreenDragon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    SE Iowa
    I use hay on the floor of my coop but i have a dirt floor, and wood shavings in my nests. this may sound crazy but you could build a tray that you pull in and out of the coop; then dump the litter then refill it put it back in the coop. ( or scoop like cat litter if u use sand) and if u make it out of metal or plastic it will wash very easily.

im not sure how tall your coop is and if it will be easy to clean. lots of people build small short coops

i also used linoleum flooring tiles in the bottom of my nests as an experiment to see if it will make it easier to keep clean

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  5. Lillichloe

Jul 31, 2014
    It's raised about chest /waist height and I put the bottom half of back wall on a hinges so I can scrape everything out

6. Lillichloe

Jul 31, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A tray wouldn't be a bad idea at least right there at the door, right under the roost, which is where the majority of the poops will land.

8. GreenDragon

GreenDragon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    SE Iowa
    that should make it a lot easier to clean get a broom handle and attach a flat vertical piece at the end and use that to scrape all the litter out and into a wheelbarrow and to your compost. i have to muck it up 2-3 times a year

9. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We use sand in our coop and we love it.

10. Lillichloe

Jul 31, 2014
    We got it finished hubby is going to build a tray to make it even easier. We went with Pune shavings and sweet pdz [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by