What would you get if you bred a French Copper Maran Rooster x Cookoo Maran Hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickadee29, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Chickadee29

Chickadee29 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Florida
    I had a lady today tell me that if you bred the two together you would get sex linked ones. If it was a male it would be colored like the cuckoo maran and if it was a hen it would be colored like the french copper is this correct. I bought French Copper Maran chicks last spring and the only one that made it was a Beautiful Rooster but now I want him to have a lady of his own. I called her to find out if she had any hens for sell and she told me that is what she was told and was doing??????

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    True. Hen will pass the barring to the cockerels.

3. Chickadee29

Chickadee29 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Florida
    Well that is cool to know. I have a cuckoo maran hen I guess I can put him with until I get him a lady. Do they look different in anyway???? I need to find someone with some chicks. I have bought some eggs off ebay to hatch and see what I get this time. Thanks for the reply so fast.

4. Buiscuit

Buiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Alabama, And I hate it !
    you would get a copcoo maran.

5. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Not sure I know what you mean by will they look different?? The boys should hatch with a white dot on their heads, the pullets all black. When they start to grow real feathers, you will see the cuckoo barring pattern in the cockerels. I think the barring sometimes is messy, not as crisp as the original purebred Mom. ....sorry that is about the extent of my genetic knowledge. There is a sex-link thread, the folks there can answer all your questions for sure.

6. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by