What would you get if you crossed...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken Frenzie, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    What would you get if you crossed...
    Barred Rock Rooster X Black Austrolorp Hen
    Barred Rock Rooster X Easter Egger Hen
    Barred Rock Rooster X Rhode Island Red Hen

Pictures woukld be great! I want to know which one would be cool looking, and cool colored eggs. Wouldn't the girls lay brown eggs because the Father is a Barred rock and lays Brown (If he did lay)
    Here's the rooster.. yellow legs
    [​IMG]
    The Black Austrolorp.. black legs
    The backround.
    [​IMG]
    The Easter Egger (Click)
    [​IMG]
    Rhode Island Red.. yellow legs (Hatchery RIR)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Barred Rock x Black Australorp just makes for some barred mutts that lay brown eggs. Barred Rock x Easter Egger makes barred mutts with some coloration in there too, but the egg color depends on the EE parent's egg color genetics.

brown x green = mostly brown, some green
    brown x blue = green

Barred Rock x Production Red = mostly red and black barred mutts that lay brown eggs.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:x2

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The short answer is that a Barred rooster passes his barring to all his chicks in varying degrees. I have some BR x BBS Ameraucana hens and I call them barred Easter Eggers because they all lay green eggs.

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Im not sure about the others but the BR over RIR will look like this
    [​IMG]
    and if its a cockrel and a little older will look like this
    [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:You must have something mixed up there, a Barred roo over RIR hens is going to produce barred offspring unless he only has one copy of barring and if so he most likely wouldnt be pure. If he only had one copy then half would be barred and half would be non barred and all of yours look non barred.

7. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Quote:You must have something mixed up there, a Barred roo over RIR hens is going to produce barred offspring unless he only has one copy of barring and if so he most likely wouldnt be pure. If he only had one copy then half would be barred and half would be non barred and all of yours look non barred.

Well I was told he was barred rock and some of his offspring developed barring after they were about 4 weeks old as seen in the 2nd picture. The girls stayed black and the boys developed barring. One had the white barring the other red barring. Daddy looks like a BR only not as light as his brother. So if he isnt BR sorry for the misinformation.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I have a barred EE. so it must be a CM hen and a Lavender Amer roo. or a DOM hen and the lavender amer roo. She's got whiskers. Must be the CM hen cuz she's got black feet.

So far she looks nice.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well I was told he was barred rock and some of his offspring developed barring after they were about 4 weeks old as seen in the 2nd picture. The girls stayed black and the boys developed barring. One had the white barring the other red barring. Daddy looks like a BR only not as light as his brother. So if he isnt BR sorry for the misinformation.

He could have been a black sexlink rooster or similar cross. Barred Rock males will pass barring to all their offspring, including the pullets.

10. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    here is a picture of him
    [​IMG]
    and here is a picture of his brother(hatchmate)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by