What would you pay for a goose?

EggsForIHOP

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
TEXAS
That was basically ready to process? Down the road a piece, they have a small flock of geese they want to thin out for the winter and I have some lovely recipes for goose...I was thinking for Christmas dinner! I have heard they are asking $60/goose...and have been talked down to $45...is $60 worth it i this lady is sticking to her guns? Is $45 offensive?

What you pay for a fat, healthy, ready to process goose?

ETA: I'm not looking for a super bargain - just want to be fair both to her and myself and I haven't had goose in AGES so I have NO CLUE what it's worth!

Last edited:
I raise my own, so I don't have an answer for that. I've seen dressed geese on-line for $175.

Are they this year's geese? If so, they should be perfect butchering age sometime close to now. If you know that they have sold the geese for $45, then that is probably what you can get one for. Maybe even a bit less if you take 3 or more.

It depends a lot of what breed of geese. Geese come in a lot of different sizes and if you are putting it on the table, the price per pound is a consideration.

I occasionally see live geese for $25 on Craigslist, but I haven't inquired about the age of them. I wouldn't want an old goose for my Christmas dinner. For other times, yes, but for Christmas I want the perfectly roasted golden brown goose on my table.

If you look at fresh free range turkeys, they are at least $4 a pound. A goose should cost more than a turkey; a lot more.

Last edited:
Some are white, some are grey - and they are from this year ("hatches 'em herself" to quote the neighbors) - but that's all the info I have so far...don't wanta call on it without knowing on the price. She's an older lady and SWEARS we are "In for a hard winter"...this is not the first time I have heard this since September...a LOT if the older folk are cutting loose of critters they would normally hang on to until spring and use to breed...all in the name of a "hard winter"...

I don't wanta talk her too far down, I don't even know what it costs to feed a goose you know? I do want to be fair - which I know probably sounds weird, but I'd like to be fair about it. So if it's this years goose and pretty hefty - go for it at $45 if I can?

Now the only thing I worry about is getting bit! I don't wanta be attacked! I had bad experiences with geese as a child...i shuddered when i recall it...should I try and feed it out until Christmas so it is "fresh" or go ahead and freeze it ya think? I don't mind taking care of it for a month...as long as it doesn't try to eat me!
lol.png

Quote:
LOL - my husband is the hunter...I prefer to do my hunting "at the zoo" as we call my place...it's much easier to catch things, I don't have to have perfect aim, and I don't have to sit out in the cold all night waiting!

I am going tomorrow to look at 'em, make sure it's all the neighbor had is cracked up to be...we'll see...

I just saw an ad for geese at a local super market. $6 a pound. So it is going to depend upon how big those geese are.

My big gander is at least 35 pounds. I can barely pick him up. My Pomeranian goose is about 20 pounds, and this years geese are probably about 25 pounds. That's live weight, not dressed. Next week I can tell you what their dressed weight is.

I've seen Chinese geese at shows that couldn't possible weigh over 12 pounds live weight.

Note, I am selecting for the table and breed for extra large breast so my birds are large and heavy. You might not be buying a bird that big.

Last edited:
Well...I went yesterday and I looked...kinda...sorta...long enough to get back in the car. I was pretty disappointed. The poor lady REALLY is getting up there and having a hard time caring for stuff you can tell (no excuse - just saying, she played heck getting out onto the porch even...it was really sad) - but her whole flock was kinda poor looking (a jumble of various chickens, ducks, geese, and a random peacock)...think I saw some crusty noses...nothing was very bright or active and it was a BEAUTIFUL day yesterday and the chickens had some questionable breathing going on...so I stayed all of 10 minutes maybe, thanked her for her time and left...just can't bring home anything from questionable conditions you know?

I wish they had been healthy looking, I woulda snapped one up in a heart beat! I suppose I'll just keep my eyes open for a Christmas goose...it's not like we HAVE to have it...but it would be nice...don't mind paying a fair price either...just not bringing home anything I don't feel right about...

You sure don't want to bring home anything that might have germs to infect your own flock.

It's a shame. It sounds like those geese could be had really cheap, but it is not a bargain if your own chickens get ill and have medication expenses, or even worse, die.

Quote:
I totally agree. Goose should be priced considerably higher than turkey. They are much more work to process correctly.

Back
Top Bottom