What wrong with my birds ?

Strummer

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Edna tx
So I have lost a few bird in the last week . All my bantams . The have a growth on their eyelids . What could be causing this and what do I need to do to fix them ?
[/IMG]

Have you added any new birds recently? The chickens could have mycoplasma (MG,) which is a respiratory disease, but I couldn't see the eye well enough in the first picture. The swelling looked a little like it could be fowl pox or just a swollen eye. Have you seen any signs of pox, such as dark scabs on combs or wattles. In your last picture there are scaly leg mites. Oil or vaseline should be applied once a week and rubbed into the scales. I would would probably start some Tylan 50 injectable either given as a shot for 3 days in the breast muscle, or given daily for 5 days orally. Oxytetracycline could also be used in the water. Terramycin eye ointment or vetericyn eye gel can also be applied to the eyes after cleaning them with some saline twice a day.

I have added new birds but they are cooped up . These with the problem are free range . I have had 2 of the new birds die .

Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes. Dry pox is usually not serious, and will run it's course in 3-5 weeks. Wet pox can be more serious causing yellow patches inside the throat that can block the airway. Pox can be complicated by other infections in the eyes, for example. Some birds with pox can starve themselves, so make sure they are eating well. It would be good to see more pictures since the foam in the eye of the one chicken could be from MG or pox. MG can be treated with Tylan 50 injectable given as a shot or given orally to each chicken. Oxytetracycline is also used in the water to treat it. If it is MG, the new birds could have brought in the infection as carrier birds. You can get testing done, or get a necropsy done on a bird that dies to get a definite diagnosis. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

I can't say for sure if the spots in your latest picture is from pox or from pecking wounds. Worms or a respiratory disease would cause weight loss or trouble gaining weight.

Back
Top Bottom