What wrong with my handsome boy's face?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heby, Jan 18, 2014.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I got this adorable BB Red for Christmas. He has been doing fine. However the past few days, I noticed that it looked like something ws on his face. At first I thought it was dirt or mud since we have had some periods of heavy rain. But it didn't go away. I brought him inside tonight to check him out and this is what it looks like. The spots are hard almost like someone would have warts. [​IMG] This other side of his face looks perfect. What could be wrong and what do I need to do?
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could possibly be canker, but the comb has scabs that also look like fowl pox. If it is fowl pox, I would look inside his beak and throat for wet foul pox. Wet fowl pox and canker are sometimes hard to tell apart, but both can cause lesions in the throat that can block the airway.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    The whitish colored stuff on his comb that is showing in the pic, looked like his comb was real dry. I have noticed that he will hold his mouth open at times. He still crows and acts fine. What do I do? I put some antibiotic ointment on it tonight cause I wasn't sure what else to do? [​IMG]

6. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Is this contagious? He is in a pen with his banty hen. And altho they don't free range, some of the other free range hens stick their head thru the fence and share their water at times. Now I'm very worried.

7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I would separate him from your other birds. If you go through each picture in the Cornell link for pox it gives details and yes it is contagious and there is no treatment according to what I have read. There is a vaccine that chicks can be given but, nothing for older birds. Sorry wish I had better news.

8. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I did look at the pictures but only a few looked like him. A lot of the pictures looked like ulcers but his are hard raised areas. How would I know if the hen has it too? They were a Christmas present from my hubby. I hope he doesn't die [​IMG]

9. chick 10145

chick 10145 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2014
    saint gorge
    I am sorry but I dont know what to say I am still hatching an egg

10. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I feel a little better. I searched on the website and found another thread and it seems like dry pox just runs its course since it is viral. As long as it doesn't develop into wet pox, we should be good and even then, if I catch it in time and swab their mouths to remove the lesions, then they should recover pretty good. I am hopeful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by